Denim Covering

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by xi132, Aug 23, 2008.

1. xi132

xi132 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,

I'd like to recover my Olympus OM2n using fabric from an old pair of jeans instead of the usual leather/snakeskin etc...

I was just wonder what the best way of going about it would be. Is there a way of preventing the sides of the denim from fraying?

My original thoughts on this was to cut the denim to size and use Copydex on the back in a bid to prevent fraying and as an adhesive to stick it to the body. What do people think?

Thanks.

2. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try something waterproof instead?

3. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At fabric stores, you can get stuff that can be attached to denim to make it waterproof behind it, at least. It will also stiffen it so it's sturdier. There's also likely something you can put over it to seal it somewhat. It's not going to be a great cover for this camera, though. I'd do it on a Holga.

4. rore

rore Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    You can leave an extra piece of fabric (half an inch maybe) then turn it, and sew it (or glue it). then glue it to the camera

i made a little diagram, excuse my mouse-drawing.
    [​IMG]

rore.

5. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Some kind of contact cement will hold it to the body, get the solvent based stuff as it tends to work better. There are several products that are designed to stop denim from fraying, if you coat a larger piece than you need, it should help prevent fraying after you cut it. The cement will also help prevent fraying.

6. Shmoo

Shmoo Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you try to double over denim, it may be too thick. Try some "Fray check" at the sewing store...it's like putting a glue at the edge of the material so it won't fray. Of course, I rather like the idea of denim fraying...looks very retro-hippie!

:smile:

7. xi132

xi132 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Based on the replies so far, I think I'll first treat the fabric with a waterproofing solution. Let that dry, then cover one side with my contact cement, cut to size and stick it on.

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you think laminated canvas mounted prints, you could apply the laminating material in a dry mounting press to the denim then use this to cover the camera :D

Ian

9. xi132

xi132 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've just had a thought. I don't have a dry mounting press or access to one, but I might just coat the denim with a canvas varnish.

I'll give it a go with a few test strips and see how it goes.

Cheers all!

10. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Personally I wouldn't worry too much about being waterproof, the contact cement will give you a barrier between the camera and the cloth. And any waterproofing will make the cloth harder. Even the fray stop stuff will cause it to be a little less soft.

11. phfitz

phfitz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you go to the fabric shop you should find iron-on patches for denim. They are already water-proof and sized, completely flat, easy to cut and should not fray.

Have fun with it.

12. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And they have a heat activated adhesive that will probably hold to the camera just fine.

13. freygr

freygr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can purchase the IRON on adhesive in rolls at Wallmart or other fabric stores, and it doesn't cost an arm or leg. Just cut out a over sized piece and use an iron to transfer it to your choice of fabric. You can even use a dry mount tacking iron to activate the adhesive.

14. nuckabean

nuckabean Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you don't want to double over the denim, you can look for something called selvedge denim, denim that has it's own cotton edge to it so it doesn't fray. The only problem is that it can be hard to find.