'Deodorize' a Schneider lens

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by carsten, Jun 13, 2006.

1. carsten

carsten Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hello,
    I have Schneider S 5.6/210 lens that looks scratch free, fungusfree etc., but there are lots of 'bubbles' where the lens is glued to the front element and back element also. Do you think this bubbles will cause problems? It has a light smell of humidity...
    How to 'deodorize' it?

Thank you
    C

2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might try putting it in a closed container with some baking soda for a few days. That tends to absorb those disgusting refrigerator odors.

3. carsten

carsten Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes, good idea, it smells of cellar rather than refrigerator...
    Anyway and what about bubbles... I do not think they are the inflammation called Schneideritis.

4. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Carsten, WHERE are those bubbles? I don't understand your description.

5. carsten

carsten Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Apologies, I know my english is very bad.
    I try again, when you watch the lens from the front you see:
    -the lens, transparent and clean
    -the black metal of the 'barrel' (I know is not a barrel but I have no words for it)
    Where the lens touches the barrel there are bubbles.
    Hope to have been clearer... not so sure though

Crst

PS Obviously I have no digital cameras so it's not possible to post pics...

6. tim atherton

tim atherton Inactive

7. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    The bubbles are left over from the dishwasher when he was trying to get rid of the smell.

8. Capocheny

Capocheny Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Carsten,

Good advice from John regarding the elimination of the odor...

And, I agree with Tim. It does sound like Schneritis and it won't harm or affect your images. :smile:

Cheers

9. Petzi

Petzi Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    The lacquer around the lens circumference went bad, probably due to bad storage conditions. It can be repaired by the factory.

10. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the clarification, Carsten. As others have said already, sounds like classic Schneideritis.

Petzi, don't blame the lens' previous owner(s). Schneideritis is too common to be explicable by lens abuse. Schneider and other manufacturers (Zeiss Oberkochen, Rodenstock, Boyer, ... ) used the wrong paint and took a long long time to recognize the mistake.

11. Petzi

Petzi Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Dan,

I have many Schneider lenses and it only ever happened to a lens that was stored in a very damp basement over the winter. Other stuff that was stored there was also damaged.

The lens is like new after I had the lacquer reapplied.

12. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used both lacquer and enamel to repaint the sides of lenses, I prefer a couple thin coats of lacquer. To me enamel seems to go on too thickly. Yes, even when I try to apply light coats.

13. carsten

carsten Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I think that my lens was not so carefully stored by the previous owner: it smells and has Schneideritis. But it is a new lens I purchased from ebay for a very good price. It came in its original box and papers, was in a paper sort of lens board. But the box smelled, the lens smelled and there are bubbles.
    Probably it was stored in a not so healthy place (something like a bad wine cellar...) that's why Schneideritis came.
    Do you think I have to send it to Schneiders? It is not pricy? I do not think that those bubbles affects the quality of my images, I was afraid Schneideritis will get worse and worse causing other problems
    Thank you
    Crst

14. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    "Schneideritis" causes no known problems. I have no idea what causes it, but in my experience Schneider lenses seem to be less susceptible than those of Rodenstock and Zeiss. or maybe I don't have enough lenses of the afflicted vintages? :smile:

15. Capocheny

Capocheny Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Carsten,

I agree with Ole... it's not a big deal! And, if the lens were mine, I wouldn't worry about it.

Since it's in your possession, why not take it out and expose some film to make absolute sure that there IS no impact. That's what I'd do. :smile:

Lastly, even if a lens is well taken care of, the Schneideritis could still happen!

Cheers