Designing new website and need your advise

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by Eric Rose, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Some people setup their folders(galleries) by geographic location and others by theme such as "doors", "bridges" etc. Still others go with a folio type of layout. I'm leaning towards the folio idea but this takes a LOT more work to put together.

Is it worth it? From a collectors point of view would they respond to one schema better than another?

I have taken down my old site so there is nothing to see on my link as of yet.

ER

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2009
  2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the folio idea is excellent, it's the way I intend to go because it mirrors how I show my work in exhibitions etc.

There's no reason why you can't use both though, particularly while work is in progress.

Ian

3. JohnRichard

JohnRichard Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have no idea about such things, but my brother who does such things for a living (website design et al.) told me that most people don't have flash installed. The majority of people in the world just install a browser, or use Internet explorer, and go about they're day. If a site says they need to install additional things, they will just close that site. I have noticed a lot of find photographers using flash on their sites because it is the "in" thing. I kept my site simple, and used all plain HTML. Any browser in the world can open it, view it, and it looks good. Mind you, its not flashy and fancy like the Flash sites that have pictures fading in and out, and whizzing about... but it gets the job done in the end.

Just food for thought.

4. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I should have been clearer, we are not talking about technology here, just layout. Yes the two can be inter-related but not for this discussion.

5. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    If you just want to show your pictures to everybody, go with a flickr site. If your goal is to use your site as a portal for potential collectors and exhibitors, I recommend organizing it by folio. This is how it would be shown in a real world gallery and curators think in this mode, not by "subject matter" or "medium" or so forth. In other words, think about who you want to see the site and go in that direction. I, and my friends, are gallery oriented artists so we have our sites organized with curators in mind and use the folio or project model. Most amateurs and hobbyists like the ease of flickr because nobody needs to hunt down your domain name to find your stuff.

As for programming, I use a flash plug-in gallery, one friend uses html, another uses all flash, and yet another uses a customized wordpress blog. Options are endless. I'm thinking of changing so the iPhone is able to see my site.

6. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The folio idea is good.
    It shows you think about what you are doing. (And if find you have trouble arranging your work in themed portfolios, perhaps you don't think about it enough. :wink:)

Flash and other 'fancy trickery' is bad. Very bad.
    People want to see pictures. Not be bored with the way Flash c.s. move them about.
    And that's all these silly things do: show how brilliant they are at getting in the way of people having a look at what a site has to offer.

If you need some active content (which you well might when the amount of things you want to show grows), make sure all activity is 'server-side', and that all the viewer's browser has to do is show the result.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2009
  7. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Very well said! And don't even think about an intro.

8. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Personally, Web sites that have a large Flash component on their home page annoy the living hell out of me. I'll usually exit without going any further.

9. JohnRichard

JohnRichard Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Agreed. And you know what makes me I RATE? Music. Now, being a musician, that's a weird thing to say, but I HATE when loud music comes blaring out of my 'puter when I want to look at some fine art.

And, yes, I ment to type I (space) RATE. It's an old joke in which someone wrote a letter to a place I worked one time and we made fun of them for writing it. It's funny... well, I thought so.

10. DLawson

DLawson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Another problem (half guessed) with these sites is that they don't play well with flash blockers.

Because of flash ad abuse, I run with flash blockers on. If there is flash, I get an icon. If I want it to run, I click on it. Some sites (youtube) work just fine with this. Some sites give me nothing. I can only assume it is because they don't run correctly (and weren't tested) in that scenario.

Usually, I don't bother. Pardon the pun, but I find that heavy flash usage correlates well with sites that are all flash and no substance.

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This site, APUG, is an excellent role model, it's very complex yet easy to use, no Flash which is good for some purposes but not really ours as stills photographers.

The Lightbox java script is excellent, many forums & websites use it because it allows easy viewing of images either on a one off basis or by scrolling through all the relevant images on a page. The Portfolio section here on APUG is a great example.

A couple of other suggestions are for sales look at using OS Commerce, it's free very easy to install & run and quite easy to customise, it allows Paypal, Credit Card and other methods of payment with no hassles at all.

The other is Joomla, again very easy to set up & customise, then if you want a forum that easy too.

Don't put your email address online, use a Webmail form with Captcha, and if you use a Guestbook again find one that uses Captcha, and don't display posters email addresses. Unfortunately the US Constitution allows email address harvesting and mass spam emailing, and once they get your email address it's a nightmare :D Every so often you may get a denial of service attack, at this point the number of spam emails shuts your email server down !!! I've had it happen 3 times now.

Ian

12. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well it seems my thread has been hijacked by the usual debate over flash etc. My OP and subsequent post specifically mentioned this was not to be a discussion of technology etc. Just so you know I have no plans of using any flash extensively.

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I have decided to go the folio route.

ER

13. sar-photo

sar-photo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sorry to appear a bit dim - but what, exactly, is meant by 'folio' in this case? :confused:

Cheers
    Simon

14. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try to put yourself in the place of your customers and think of how they will look for your work.

For instance, my film work is arranged by folios, but my stock photography is arranged by subject matter.
    juan

15. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A coherent set of images.

So you might have say a Landscape folio, another of Portraits.

How tight each folio is is quite personal. I have a folio of music images - shots of Rock musicians live & on location and another of B&W Landscapes.

However the landscapes can in my case be subdivided into more specific folios to cover The Black Country, or the Aegean Region etc.

When I go to see a Gallery about an exhibition I show a portfolio of the work I propose to show, this is usually work in progress as UK galleries often book 2-3 years in advance, I also take a more general folio as Gallery Directors/Curators want to see your full capabilities.

My own feeling is a website needs to reflect some of that same approach.

Ian