desperately seeking 4x5" light box for ilford MG500 head

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by karol baginski, Jan 29, 2009.

1. karol baginski

karol baginski Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hello everyone:smile:,
    I want to buy described item and need any help with it.
    Thanks in advance,
    karol

2. keeds

keeds Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. RH Designs

RH Designs Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could also try Lightwave who have serviced Ilford heads and may still do.

4. karol baginski

karol baginski Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thank You Guys,
    I wrote emails for this places. Hope they have one for me, cos I'm trying to avoid making it by myself...
    Regards,
    karol

5. paul ewins

paul ewins Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Karol, you will need to state what sort of enlarger you are using. I bought an MG500 head that was used on an Omega and had to get a different mounting plate and mixing box so that I could use it on my Beseler 45. The Beseler mixing box is a two part contraption while the Omega one was just one part.

6. Mark Burley

Mark Burley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Try second-hand darkroom supplies - Oxford way. He may be able to help...

7. RH Designs

RH Designs Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. karol baginski

karol baginski Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Dear Paul,
    thank You very much for this post.
    My enlarger is Durst Elite (motorized version of Laborator 1200). But I didn't found in manual for 500H any mounts for mixing box 4x5"... Am I right?
    best regards,
    karol

9. paul ewins

paul ewins Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Karol, the only copy of the manual I have is the downloaded one from Ilford. This doesn't mention the sizes of the mixing boxes or the mounts. I suspect that each enlarger manufacturer made their own mount and mixing boxes with Ilford supplying the rest. Was the head already on your enlarger or did you buy it separately?

10. youngrichard

youngrichard Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My manual (page 47) states " Light mixing boxes: 3 sizes available for negative sizes - up to 35mm (small), from 35 mm to 6x7 cm (medium) and from 6x7cm to 4x5 inches (large)
    Note: Light mixing boxes are supplied as part of the adaptor kit to suit each enlarger".
    So if your enlarger accommodates 4x5 a large mixing box would have been supplied with the adaptor kit.
    If you do find one take care it is right for your enlarger; the "drop" from the register plate varies so that the bottom of the box sits immediately above the negative, and varies from a few mm to 2 or 3 cm. The wrong size means if drop is too small there will be excessive light spill; too deep and it will snag on the negative holder. The height above the register plate is always the same, so that the light shine directly into the apertures in the box.
    Richard

11. mpirie

mpirie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Karol,

I have an MG500 on a Laborator 1000. The 5x4 kit has the mixing box and an adapter plate that sits in the bottom of the head to make sure the box is located centrally. Each mixing box has its own adapter.

I can dig it out (it's in storage with the rest of my darkroom) and send you some pics if you like?

Regards,
    Mike

12. youngrichard

youngrichard Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What the above post calls the adaptor plate, and I call the Register Plate, is the same for every every enlarger, fitting in the slot at the bottom of the 500 Head; they come in 3 different sizes of central aperture for the 3 different sized boxes. So 4x5 register plate is the same for every different enlarger for which adaptor kits were made. Not so for the box, however.

Richard

13. karol baginski

karol baginski Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi guys:smile:,
    You were absolutely right about adapting plates for mixing chambers, so thank You all for info.
    I've just received one box from ONE GREAT APUG forum MEMBER — Thank You very, very much Mike:smile:.
    The only thing I have to do now, is making plate (which is lifting the mixing box for 4 mm over the bottom of a head) and start printing.
    Best regards for all,
    karol