Developement Pan Atomic X advice

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Stephen Frizza, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello everyone

I have a lot of Kodak Pan Atomic X film 6140 Type V-Class C ASA 64.

I'm curious has anyone else used this? and if so any recommendations on a developer and development time?

~Steve

2. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Panatomic-X developed in Kodak Microdol-X and Rodinal

I found that Kodak Microdol-X worked great with Panatomic-X, so I would expect Ilford Perceptol to also work well with it.

Another developer that worked well for me with Panatomic-X was Rodinal diluted 50 to 1 and Rodinal diluted 100 to 1.

3. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    what development times and temps were used for the rodinal? do you remember?

4. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not off the top of my head, but the data (including D log E curves) is in my notebooks in my file cabinet at work. I will pull the data out and post it for you on Monday.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2008
  5. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    cheers man!

6. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rodinal 1:100, 68F, 12 minutes, two inversions in 5 seconds every 30 seconds. I used to add 45 grams sodium sulfite per liter of working solution. These days I'd use Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) as per Patrick Gainer (gainer here on APUG).

http://www.unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Rodinal/rodinal.html

Lee

7. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well I can now declare my first experience with pan Atomic X has been a pleasant one! thanks for the Dev info lee L this has worked really well!

~Steve

8. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stephen: For the 1:50 Rodinal dilution at 68 deg. F, I used 9 minutes with intermittent agitation (10 seconds of gentle torus motion tank inversion each minute).

for the 1:100 Rodinal dilution at 68 deg. F, I used 13 minutes, 30 seconds with intermittent agitation (10 seconds of gentle torus motion tank inversion each minute).

The 1:100 dilution curve was a little flatter (more linear) than the 1:50 dilution curve.

Cheers!

9. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stephen, I diluted my Rodinal with distilled water, no sulfite added. I rated the Panatomic-X at 32 (120 rollfilm and 35mm). I performed this testing in 1979.

I also looked at my 1979 test results for:

1. Tri-X developed in 1:100 Rodinal diluted with distilled water, no sulfite added. Base plus Fog= .26
    2. Tri-X developed in 1:100 Rodinal diluted with distilled water, with sodium sulfite added. Base plus Fog= .31

Other that the small increase in Base plus Fog for the sulfited Rodinal, the D log E curves for 1. and 2. are virtually identical