Developer characteristics

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by e_joyner, Dec 11, 2003.

1. e_joyner

e_joyner Member

Is there a general resource that explains the characteristics of different film developers? i.e. how it affects contrast, grain, etc... I'm a novice, and have very limited experience with developing. In fact, D-76 and TMax developers are the only 2 I've ever used! Convenience is a major factor, so I like to use things that are readily available to me. Any good books or internet resources??? Thanks in advance for any help, sorry if this is a stupid question.

~edye

2. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Try Steve Ancell"s book Film Cookbook. Not 100% sure that is the full name. THere is the Darkroom Cookbook and then the one devoted to film. Am sure a search at Amazon will come up with the full title. Perhaps this will fit your description to a tee

3. e_joyner

e_joyner Member

Thank you for the info Ann. I have soooo many questions, I'm trying to pace myself on the number of 'stupid questions' I ask!

~edye

4. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    There is never a time anyone has all the answers. Life is full of questions so don't ever stop asking.

5. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There are no stupid questions, but some deserve stupid answers, and some get them undeservedly :wink:

I agree that "The Film Developing Cookbook" by Anchell & Troop is one of the best resources. It is more geared towards the "home chemists" like myself, but for a readable discussion of the properties of different developers I've found none better.
    There's a little bit of it in Ansel Adams' "The Negative", but it leaves me with a niggling doubt whether he really knew what he was talking about. But there are examples there, which there aren't in Anchell&Troop.

There's also a lot of information right here on APUG, but much of it is hidden deep in the discussions.

You have but to ask :smile:

6. Jorge Oliveira

Jorge Oliveira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  7. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ag magazine is very good-any articles by Michael Maunder or Barry Thornton v useful. Also The Darkroom Cookbook by Steve Anchell and Edge of Darkness by Barry Thornton (great pics too).