developer for delta 3200

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by temujin, Oct 14, 2007.

1. temujin

temujin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hi all, i have recently been experimenting with high speed films for indoor work without flash, and have settled on delta 3200 as my favorite. i have been using it primarily in d76, but there is probably something better out there for this film, right? what developer would you recommend? i will be using the film primarily at ei 3200, sometimes 1600. thanks...

2. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We has this discussion a few weeks ago, run a search in the archhives

Anyway, and if Mr,Alz-heimer doesnlt betray me Xtol and DDX were the favorites in the consensus

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    And Microphen. True ISO in DDX & Microphen c. 1200 (the maximum obtainable; about 1/3 stop faster than D76); with a long-toe film designed for pushing, 3200 is not out of sight.

It is alleged that D76 is better for pushing, but this is a matter of personal opinion when it comes to tonality. Many have found it better to use a developer designed to deliver a higher true ISO.

4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    If this is 35mm then it depends on your view of grain in the prints. Strange as it may seem for a developer which is normally used with films rated at up to one stop slower than box speed, Ilford actually mentions Perceptol as being particularly suitable for D3200 - even at box speed.

I have developed D3200 at box speed in both ID11 and Perceptol and the latter produces much less grainy prints, even at 5x7. Can't compare it to DDX as I haven't used it.

I'd give an extra 2 mins on the Ilford time of 18 mins but that suits me and maybe not you. I took a chance and a guess at my time and if I were starting from scratch and experimenting I might try cutting the film in three and go for Ilford Standard Time, then 2 mins(10%) more and then 20% more to see which was best.

You'll only lose two negs in the process.

pentaxuser