Developing Agfa Scala using D-76; 9min with stock, what would 1+1 dilution time be?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Treymac, May 27, 2010.

1. Treymac

Treymac Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey guys.
    I finally managed to win some Scala film off eBay, although it expired in 1998. I`m taking a chance with the date, but the price was decent.

I plan to try to develop a roll of it as a neg in D-76. The dev time for stock, listed with digital truth: http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.php?Film=Scala&Developer=D-76&mdc=Search, says 9 minutes. But I`m going to be using a dilution of 1+1. What kind of adjustment in the time would you recommend I make?

2. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use (I think) 8 minutes for standard 1+9 dilution with Paterson FX39. I wouldn't rely too heavily on numbers from digital truth. It's much better to check with people here.

3. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Honestly, based on what I did with this film in HC-110, that sounds long to me, though I do not claim to have tried this combination myself. Scala was a very contrasty emulsion with a high maximum density; characeristics that are fitting for a film designed for reversal, but give you a "difficult" film good for nothing but special purposes as a neg. I used it only in very flat light, such as overcast landscapes. If it helps at all, I rated it at 100 as a neg and developed in HC-110 dilution H (an unofficial dilution that is twice as dilute as dilution B) for five to eight minutes, depending on the contrast I wanted. Even at five and six minutes in that highly dilute developer, I still got contrasty negatives. (However, this is exactly why I chose to use the film in the first place: to inject a very flat scene with a healthy shot of contrast.) If I had not used it solely to shoot in flat light, I probably would have applied even more EC by rating it at 50 or 25, and really have gone to lengths to pull the emulsion. It is up to you, but I would just hold the film for situations in which you want a very high contrast black and white negative film.

4. Treymac

Treymac Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does anybody else have any thoughts of what kind of time I should go with? Thanks.

5. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot scala as a negative as though it is apx100, which is largely what I understand this emulsion is, but coated on a clearer than normal film base.
    So use published times for apx100 as a starting point.
    If you shot it at 200, you will need to do a push over normal development.

6. Treymac

Treymac Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How much is a push over, and do you think there will be any problems using 12 year old refrigerated film?

7. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A push over is approximately 30% longer development time, and 12 year old refrigerated Scala should be fine.

8. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't push Scala unless I wanted super high contrast. It is contrasty enough (i.e. very) that it can survive a one stop underexposure without any development alterations. Pushing it will likely make it harder to print. The film doesn't look like APX 100 to me.

9. faustotesta

faustotesta Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just tried to develop a Agfa scala with D-76 diluited (1+1). 12 minutes.
    Result: Horrible !
    i got a flat, dull, underveloped negative.
    D-76 diluited is too weak for Agfa Scala (that's my humble and instinctive opinion)

10. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I developed some in D76 1+1 for 15 mins @68f agitate 30 sec initial and 10 seconds every three mins, and got some decent negatives from it.