Developing different film types in single batch?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by JLMoore3, Jun 25, 2005.

1. JLMoore3

JLMoore3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I guess I don't remember this... but is there any reason not to mix different types of film in the same batch? If the times are the same, say for Delta 3200 & TMX400 pushed to 1600, couldn't they both be processed in the same batch?

2. modafoto

modafoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I do it all the time with no problems.

Morten

3. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As long as the times required are close enough to the same that you don't get unacceptable variations in contrast from your normal, there's no reason not to.

4. JLMoore3

JLMoore3 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the update! I seem to remember mixing film types when I worked in a lab 30 years ago, but I wanted to make sure nothing had changed to make a difference (such as that LOVELY coating that sluffs off of TMAX films!)

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I did it just today. Having enough film to justify setting up a tank line, I could process films with different times in the same batch by setting the timer for the film that needed the longest time, and adding the films to the tank that needed less time as the time elapsed. If you're using a daylight tank, you can do this by doing the development in the dark with the reels on a lifter rod, adding the reels to the tank as appropriate, then putting the daylight cap on and continuing with the lights on in the normal way once all the reels are in the tank.