Developing in Rotary processor

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by digiconvert, Apr 7, 2009.

1. digiconvert

digiconvert Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Paterson rotary processor, which includes a thermostatic water bath , that works really well for colour printing but I often get a problem with BW developer where it oxidises so badly that I get silver precipitating over the paper as a black deposit , which partially washes off.
    I use the dev once only and have even gone as far as replacing stop and fixer on each run but the problem returns , though intermittently. Anyone have any ideas as to how to remedy this ?

Thanks CJB

2. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would suggest giving it a run with ansco 130 as the developer. The glycin is resistant to aerial fogging, and it still develops well (even though slower than a HQ developer, but you could use your water bath to speed things up a bit.

I use 130 in my roller transport when I want to mass print b&w for a day or two. I disable the heater circuit, and the heat given off by the drive mechanism keeps the tanks at 24C. B&W processes just fine at the RA-4 speed of 45 seconds per tank. I go with a TF4 rapid fixer at film strength for the fixer tank, and the paper is fixed in 45 seconds as well.