developing tank and reels

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by newsphotogguy, Oct 3, 2002.

1. newsphotogguy

newsphotogguy Member

can anybody direct me to a good 3 reel 120 format stainless tank? i have outgrown my plastic multi format POS.

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Four reel is the usual size. The tanks are pretty standard, but if you go used, you might want to be sure they use a standard daylight cap. I have an older Kindermann (very high quality, but so are Nikor and most of the others--the tank is pretty low tech) that is just slightly larger than the standard tank size and it doesn't have a daylight cap, so it is necessary to turn the lights off to fill and empty it. The advantage is that I can fill it and empty it more quickly than I could with a daylight cap, but it would be nice to have the option of doing it with the lights on.

For reels, I highly recommend buying new Hewes reels, which are very well made and load easily. They make both 120 and 120/220 reels that fit the standard tank. They cost a little more, but will save many headaches.

3. newsphotogguy

newsphotogguy Member

david, thanks for the info.

4. John Hicks

John Hicks Member

_If_ you can find them....

Honeywell/Nikor, Omega, or even no-name Japanese brand with the stainless steel lid and cap. These are of course long-gone from the new-gear market; www.mpex.com may be a good source for used ones.

The later plastic-lid tanks will of course work but the lids always crack rather quickly. Otoh duct tape will repair 'em...