Development time Foma100+Rodinal

Discussion in '[Partner] FOMAFOTO' started by Greshoff, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Greshoff

Greshoff Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi

I am returning to film after a break of 15 years and am shooting Foma100 (120) rated at 125 and will be processing in Rodinal(100:1). Any idea of the suggested dev time with this combination?

Thank you in anticipation.

Robert

2. ROL

ROL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try exposing the film a bit under EI100 (like EI 50) and developing it in Rodinal 1:100 for 13 mins inserting the tank only once every minute. The trick with Rodinal and Foma 100 is to agitate the tank very little. As always, do your own testing before developing anything important.

4. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Film developed in Rodinal generally loses speed. It's best to shoot at one stop slower than box speed if you plan on using Rodinal. That being said, the MDC shows it exposed at iso 100 diluted 1+100 for 10 minutes, you may want to add 25% to that for the push needed. This is just a starting point, your actual time for this combo can only be determined by trial and error on your part.

5. Greshoff

Greshoff Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks all, that is a great help.

Robert

6. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With Foma 100 I can barely squeak out ISO 64-80 with D76 1+1 so I'd be careful shooting it at 125.

It doesn't like overdevelopment either so I go safe and never rate it over 80.

7. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use Rodinal 1:100 with Fomapan 100 E.I. 100 1 hour stand (1min agitation for the first minute, 8sec at 30mins and 8 sec agitation at full hour)at 20°C with 2mins prewash and I usually get usable results.

Good Luck

Dominik

8. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've just processed Fomapan 100 in exactly the way you describe, and it's massively over-developed. In the same tank was a roll of Lucky 100 which I regularly use in the same developer (semi-stand, 20C, 60mins), and it was normally developed. I checked the camera the Fomapan went through and the lens is stopping down correctly and speeds appear to run at the usual intervals. In fact, the Foma frames are darker than some Tri-X I recently tested in the same developer combo.

Is Fomapan faster than the 100 asa it's quoted at, or does it react in Rodinal type developers in an unusual way? Any suggestions?

9. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I know someone who rates it at 160. And he does full stand.

10. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yes expect thin shadows and blown high lights.
    Some grain.
    The 200 is the same finer grain.
    The 400 about 320 ISO

11. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've just completed some reasonably extensive testing of Foma 100 in Rodinal, and the results were very interesting. Previously I'd rated it at 100 ASA and developed for 50 minutes, 1:100. Recently I've pushed it 2 stops (400 asa) though not with the same development time as Foma suggests, but by extending development to 120 minutes, still at 1:100. The results were far better than I expected, being sharp, showing minimal grain and holding shadow detail and contrast. Even at 800 asa, and 150 minute development, the results showed no obvious compromises. The trick is minimal agitation, two gentle inversions at the beginning and two half way through in my case.

I would be happy to use Foma 100 as 400 asa stock, and wouldn't have an issue at 800 asa. Foma 100 develops density faster than similar speed films, so avoid mixing films in the same tank or over development is likely for non-Foma films.