DeVere 5108 negative carrier

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Greg Davis, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    So I was able to figure out that I can, in fact, get this enlarger home. I knew before I bought it that it does not include a negative carrier and I will need to get or make one. I have a few months before I can actually use this thing, so I am not in any hurry, but is anyone able to take a few pictures of theirs and post it here so I know what it is supposed to look like? A google search pulls up nothing. If so, could you put up a picture of the top, the bottom, and with it laid open? Thanks to everyone that helped me figure out how to get this beast home!

2. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    For those of you with this enlarger, I am about to start making my own negative carrier since I cannot find one to purchase. Can someone tell me if the factory one has a ridge on the bottom to create a light trap in the enlarger? Or is it smooth bottomed? Thanks for any help.

3. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Greg, I use two pieces of glass, window glass on the bottom and non glare framing glass on the top with a tape hinge and a little loop of tape to pull it in and out of the enlarger. It works perfectly. I have them for 8x10 negs and for 5x7 negs. I have placed a piece of masking tape on the bottom glass to locate the sheet..Evan Clarke

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks, Dale. I have seen pictures of the top and the inside, but not the bottom. I am not going to use original DeVere glass in my own carrier simply because it does not allow for printing the film edge if I so desire. That is not something I do very often, but I don't want to be restricted if the mood strikes.

6. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just glass on the bottom and cutouts from black plastic and some from cardboard on top works for me

7. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    That's the nice thing about the glass sandwich, you can do almost anything you want...EC

8. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Dale, did you ever find those pictures? I still need to see the bottom side.

9. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, the pictures just show the top side.

10. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here is the only picture I have in my collection:
    [​IMG]

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've some pictures somewhere I shot last year of my 5108 neg holders, I'll try & find them. The bottom panel is flat on the underside but recessed to take the glass or small neg carriers on the top inner edges.

Ian

12. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Flat on the bottom is what I wanted to know. I wasn't sure if it had a lip underneath to seat in the enlarger like an Omega holder.