Dial Set Compur

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Silverpixels5, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Silverpixels5

Silverpixels5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a dial set compur shutter and was wondering if there is anything special i have to do to get the thing to stay open when set on B or T. Is there some trick that I'm not doing or does this mean that my B and T setting is just broke? Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    When you have it on B you need to keep the little lever pressed, or the cable pressed. When you have it on T you press the lever once to open, and once to close (or the cable). If on the T setting you press the lever and it does not stay opned then the T setting is broke.

3. Silverpixels5

Silverpixels5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yea thats how all my other shutters work, which is why I thought this one may be different. Both the B and T setting seem to be non-funtional, as both open and close reguardless of whether you hold the shutter down or not. Thanks anyway.

4. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine does the same thing. I use the shutter release set screw to hold open the shutter for focusing.
    juan

5. Silverpixels5

Silverpixels5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How exactly do you do that Juan? I'm not really sure what you mean. Thanks

6. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Your cable release should have a locking knob or dial, just press it and lock it and you should be able to keep the shutter open to focus.

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Though not every cable release has a locking knob, in which case you'll want to get one.

8. Silverpixels5

Silverpixels5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh i thought you were talking about a set screw on the shutter. The shutter will not stay open reguardless of whether the cable release is held down or not. The B and T settings do no work. Thanks though.

9. MikeK

MikeK Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I am going from memory now, but does this shutter have a wheel with the letters Z, C or the like?

If so one setting is for the shutter speeds the other is for timed and bulb.

- Mike

10. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just had a look at mine (which works): A small wheel marked Z D M / T B I.
    When set to Z/T, it opens and closes using the release. Once to open, once to close.
    On the D/B setting, it stays open as long as the release lever is depressed (or cable release is pressed.
    Do not cock the shutter for any of these two.
    On M/I setting, the "normal" timed shutter is operating. Shutter must be cocked.

11. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Go to the S. K. Grimes website for this discussion about Compur shutters. http://www.skgrimes.com/compur/index.htm

Down at the bottom of that page is a link to additional pages discussing how to operate each variety of the Compur.

12. Silverpixels5

Silverpixels5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry its broke. the shutter won't trip at all if its not cocked and in B or T mode. If its cocked in B or T and i trip the shutter it just opens and closes, even if i hold the release down. I think cocking it in B or T would cause damage with the similar compound dial set shutters, but not the compur ones. In any case mine don't work. :-(