Did I break anything?

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by EKDobbs, Jan 13, 2013.

1. EKDobbs

EKDobbs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just picked up a Toyocaflex for $45. It had a really sticky shutter below 1/25sec, but i was confident that it was just age. After I had cleaned all the nastyness out of the mirror-box, I decided to take some 3-in-1 oil to the shutter. I did not know anything about camera repair at this point, but I understand now that oil is not an ideal fix for sluggish gears.

However, soon after putting oil all in and around the shutter assembly, all the speeds came loose again and are working with surprising accuracy.

I figure, if it works, it works. However, am I doing any long-term damage by putting the oil in it? Should I go have it cleaned ASAP?

2. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The problem with 3in1 is it's way too thick among other things. It will attract and then hold onto dirt and grit.
    I'm REAL surprised your shutter works. Who knows for how long tho.

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Send it off for a CLA [Clean, Lubrication, Adjust] when you can afford to. I would not wait too long. KEH.com can do a CLA and they are geographically close to you.

4. EKDobbs

EKDobbs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the quick responses. As soon as I've got the extra money I'll take it in to Peace Camera. I've gotten mostly positive reviews about them and they're a stone's throw from the house.

5. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A couple of things....

Oil of wrong type can evaporate and cause haze on lens surface.
    Too much oil can leak and go into places where it shouldn't.
    Gunked up oil is still in there.... loosened/dissolved by new oil and solvent, it will gunk up again,
    Typically, putting unknown oil of unknown quantity into a precision instrument is a risky thing.

I think it's a good idea to get it cleaned up and lubed correctly. I don't think you caused any immediate problem though.

6. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Plus its not just if its the right oil, it is also how much oil. If you over oil, it will migrate to other areas.

7. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You haven't actually "broken" anything, but you have created a potential mess.
    Send the camera to someone who knows what they are doing, and don't put any more 3-in-1 oil on cameras. Ever. Anywhere.

8. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Something tells me that you should have flooded the shutter with lighter fluid (i.e., without the lens elements attached), the opposite of oil. - David Lyga

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Agreed. Just one drop from a 3 in 1 can is more than the whole shutter needs - even if it was the correct type.

Steve.

10. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's another good way to make a mess.:pouty: