Did Used Nikon Prices Go Up?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by snegron, Aug 1, 2006.

1. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have been comparing prices on older Nikon F and F2 bodies recently and noticed that the prices are higher than usual. Is this my imagination or have they actually gone up in price, especially the F Photomic FTN? Does the same hold true for Nikon parts and service? Will it cost that much more now to repair older Nikon bodies?

2. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    F and F2 prices seem stable to slightly higher to me. prices for all the other bodies seem to be down pretty consistently, though, so I don't care. I like the F3HP a lot better than the F2 or F varieties, and I like the FM2n when it's cold, so I don't care what F2s cost. :smile:

3. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    I haven't checked the Nikon SLR prices on eBay for a few weeks (I have low GAS pressure at present) but I did note that prices for the F3HPs seemed higher than when I purchased three of them between last Summer and this past Spring.

I'm figuring that the "glut" of film-based SLR gear supply that was dumped onto the market by the newspaper media and universities etc. in the "rush to digital" has eased.

4. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just purchased a back for my Mamiya RB67 and from looking on eBay, I wonder if they haven't started going up as well. This is an interesting possibility. I guess correction has to happen some time to these silly low prices, perhaps it has started.

5. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If film consumption continues to plummet, these low prices aren't going to be silly anymore.

I'm a great example. I shoot a lot of film, but I already have most of the film gear that I need. If someone dangled, say, a nice Nikon in front of me, it would have to be very cheap to be worth purchasing. I already have an F90 and an F90x that I rarely use... so these cameras are nearly valueless to me.

6. GraemeMitchell

GraemeMitchell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I've been watching for another F5, and am surprised what they're going for in the used market. I got a almost mint one around 3 years ago for $800 with the leader out mod. I also got a 85mm f1.4 and a 28mm f/1.4 used for $1400 around the same time. Now that used 28mm alone is going for $1800+ on auction sites!

I did get my nikon stuff from PJs going canon, so I agree w/ George that they've all made their switchesi. Also, the D2x brought Nikon up to speed in the digital market , so I imagine there are less people selling their Nikon gear to move to Canon and more people buying gear up.

It was great while it lasted!

7. GraemeMitchell

GraemeMitchell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually I just read that the 28mm f/1.4 was discontinued. Wasn't aware of that.

Would explain the price increase.

8. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Compared to last year it seems like the older Nikon F and F2 bodies have gone up, especially the FTN. Also, it seems like availability has dropped. I was looking around recently for an F2A body in EX condition or better but couldn't find any. There were plenty of F2A bodies in either bad condition or meter prisms not working. I ended up buying an F3HP in EX condition. Even the F3HP has gone up in price! I saw a near mint one for $800.00, almost the same as a used F5.

Lenses seem to be retaining their value as well. I noticed that the availability of the Nikon 35mm 2.0 AIS has declined. Those available in good condition are almost the same price as a new non-US one.

I think that even though many people are going digital, there are many collecters out there scooping up prime Nikon bodies and lenses. Also, I think that after the big panic that film was going to dissapear, things settled down and people are attracted to the used SLR market prices.

9. sanderx1

sanderx1 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The 28mm f/1.4 has always cost an arm & leg & a kidney or a lung :tongue: And yes, after Nikon had the bright idea of discontinuing it, it is probably going to cost a lot more RSN.

10. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    As to 28/1.4 availability:

Back in January, Zeiss made a lot of noise (with teaser web posting etc.) about a new line of Nikon-compatible manual lenses. I think a 28mm was "in the works" - not sure of the f/stop max.

So far these lenses have been somewhat of a "phantom" - although they do now have an 85mm and 50mm available ( http://www.zeiss.com/photo ).

As I recall they plan on a total of five lengths. Three are to be made for Zeiss by Cosina in Japan. Two will be made in Germany. I don't remember which was to be where.

Note that the website does indicate additional introductions will be forthcoming at Photokina 2006.

11. jgjbowen

jgjbowen Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yea, I saw an "old" B&H photo ad listing new FM3A camera bodies for less than $600. Now they are asking (and getting) almost $850 for demo FM3A bodies.......Somebody must be buying film!

12. fparnold

fparnold Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Discouragingly, it's more likely that someone is buying collectables, destined to sit in glass cases and be dusted annually. I noticed that problem with F's 10 years ago.

13. nexus

nexus Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    its because those lenses can be used for the digital cameras and "everyone" is going digital. canon EF lenses are still a fortune and won't get any cheaper second hand because people are geting the lower end SLRs :sad:

14. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think you are absolutely right! Many of us who grew up admiring one particular Nikon "flagship" model probably didn't have the cash back then to buy them new. Now, sort of like the middle aged guy buying a classic muscle car, we seem compelled to have those items we desired in our youthfull (broke) years. Maybe it is nostalgia, maybe a way of reliving our happier years. I too am somewhat guilty of buying for the sake of collecting. I still can't bring myself to going out and shooting regularly with my recently purchased near mint F2A with MD2 and 35mm 2.0 Nikon lens.

Just recently I needed another 35mm body, but instead of getting an F5 or F100, I opted for an F3HP with MD4. I paid the same for the F3 that I would have for an F5 or F100, but having been weaned on the F3 in the early 80's, I found that trust in proven technology, rugged simplicity, and nostalgia played a large part in my decision. And yes, I plan to use and abuse this F3HP even though it is also in near mint condition.

15. GraemeMitchell

GraemeMitchell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    YES! Collecting camera gear has always seemed so bizarre to me. The only collected gear I respect is the gear retired after it's done its work and is being retired. The gear that has stories and images behind it.