Did you ever have any thing stolen?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by DeBone 75, Jan 27, 2009.

1. DeBone 75

DeBone 75 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you did, did you get something better? I had a 4X5 NuVue stolen out of my car that was parked in the parking lot of the apartment complex I lived at. After all was said and done I got an 8X10 Burke and James and a Turner covertable Lens. I still missed the little 4X5, but loved the 8X10.

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes, when I was in high school, our house was burglarized, and I lost my Canon A-1, a Ricoh rangefinder, and a few other items. I kept good records and had all the boxes, so it was easy to make an insurance claim, and the proceeds went toward a Canon New F-1 that I've used to this day.

3. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Contax 139Q and CZ 50 f1.4was stolen out of my car in 1985 or so. The insurance went to help pay for the 137ma and 50mm replacement that I also use to this day.

4. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A complete 4x5 and 8x10 outfit loaned to a friend, including a B&J 8x10 Commercial (refinished in satin black lacquer), 305 Ilex Caltar, 355 G-Claron, a 165 Angulon and a brand new Toyo 45F and 180 Apo-Sironar, holders, darkroom equipment, you name it. He refuses to return it, and it took me several years to get it all replaced.

5. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    In 1995, my whole 5x7 kit stolen from out of my truck (on my way to Yosemite to photograph). Home insurance and some more money, I got the used Zone VI 8x10 set-up I have now. It was not a pleasant experience, but it got me into 8x10 a lot faster than I would otherwise.

Vaughn

6. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Nope.

Murray

7. WGibsonPhotography

WGibsonPhotography Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    In my color photography class (we have a darkroom just for color printing), someone from photo 1, which is a black and white class, stole a pack of Kodak 400CN film. It was my fault for leaving it in a drawer in the darkroom, but I laughed inside when I walked by the classroom one day and heard the photo 1 instructor talking about why you shouldnt develop CN-41 film in black and white developer.

During that same semester, I came home late one night and realized my camera bag wasnt in my car. In my bag, I had a Polaris incident/reflected light meter, a Canon Rebel K2, a Canon Rebel XTi, and a 70-200mm F/4.0L lens. I'm estimating that I paid about $1500 for all that and about $80 for the bag. Needless to say, I was panicking :smile:

I was sure I left it in the color darkroom (in the same darkroom where someone snatched my film). that was the first place I checked the next day, and it wasnt there! the only other place I had been was the digital imaging lab where I was working on my filmmaking project. About the time I came out of the darkroom in to the classroom, a classmate from filmmaking came in and asked if i left my camera bag in the imaging lab. My response was a half-ass jog out of the class over to the imaging lab to grab my stuff. :smile:

so, I guess what I'm trying to say is some dummy in a black and white class stole and processed at least some of my color film in black and white chemicals :D

8. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nikon F2 Photomic (is that the right moniker?) stolen from apartment along with what little cash I had at the time. 25 years ago in New Orleans. Didn't replace the camera for three or four years; replaced it with an F3 which I still have.

9. Tori8x10

Tori8x10 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I had my hassy kit with three lenses, 3 backs and my zone VI digital spot meter (and the bag this was all in) stolen out of my darkroom. I had just started shooting 4x5 so I didn't notice it for awhile and it probably would have taken longer if I hadn't been looking for my spot meter. As soon as I realized what was gone I knew exactly when it was taken and who did it but had no proof, so... Live and learn I guess, but I'd love to have it back. It still makes me feel sick when I think about it.

10. bowzart

bowzart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bears don't steal cameras! Or am I missing something?

11. bowzart

bowzart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In 1965, I had three photographs stolen off the wall of the art department at San Francisco State.

I had a piece (photo etched metal fabricated piece with a lock of Ken Cory's hair hanging out of it -- Ken was one of the more interesting and best jewelers of the 20th Century) from the Seattle Art Museum's Rental shop.

I lost a Turner Reich triple convertible lens that I left briefly unattended on a pile of dogfood in a grocery store when shooting a friends engagement portrait (he was a checker).

My garage in Tacoma WA was broken into in 1995 and my tools were stolen. I had a house in the hilltop area, which at the time was really a high crime area.

I lost a Linhof Technica III which was "borrowed" and never returned by a fellow named H*** Foster who was a student at Shoreline Community College near Seattle Washington in the mid 1990's. I haven't seen that b*****d for more than a decade now. I had given him a great deal, including a clarinet, and that is what I got back. With it were a Goerz Dagor 150mm, a Schneider Angulon 90mm, and an f/4.7 Ektar.

12. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had purchased my first brand new camera. Canon Rebel G. Wonderfully light compact camera. I shot maybe 3 rls of film with it. Went to work, returned home. Police @ my door. Whatz up. Neigbors called the police when they noticed some suspicios people around my place. The first place I went to my hiding spot where I was sure know one would check (WRONG )They they go through your place they really do a number. My other stuff was at my work or in my drkrm. It was behind a room divider which when moved reveals the spot. GONE never found by police or me. I never keep all of my "toys" all in one place.
    So I never bought a new one again. Just lots of used ones. Someone would have to steal 2 or 3 to make up the price of 1. (It's worked fine so far)
    I have been very satisfied with the quantity of equipment I have now maybe not the quality. So maybe it was one of the good outcomes of the deal.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2009
  13. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had my car broken into in Corwall in 2000. I lost a Canon T70 and Canon FTb. With the insurance money I bought Canon 35-70 zoom lens and negotiated a free T70 (rought but functional) as well.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  16. Philippe-Georges

Philippe-Georges Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Rodenstock Imagon 250 mm kit was stolen from a friend's (badly locked) studio who borrowed the lens. I never got a compensation from the insurance because "it was my property that was stolen in foreigner's workplace" (sic) I still feel bad about it.

17. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, had two Mamiya's a C3 & C33 + two lenses, a pair of Chinon CE-4's with power winders and about 6 lenses all Vivitar S1 or similar quality stolen in the early 80's from my studio. Took some arm twisting to get the insurance company to pay out.

Ian

18. gerryyaum

gerryyaum Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Always having dreams of my equipment being stolen but then I wake up and realize it was only a dream (wonder what freud would say about that!). Never had any piece of equipment ever stolen in real life, and that comes with carrying stuff into a lot of dangerous places.

19. AutumnJazz

AutumnJazz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You didn't take him to court?

20. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    About 25 years ago we were burglarized. I lost a Linhof 4x5 camera with 5 lenses, Linhof Tech 70 with 4 lenses, high end stereo equipment, and a few other odds and ends. To add insult to injury, the insurance adjuster "depreciated" the stereo equipment to practically nothing, and from a $20,000 loss I received about $14,000. I replaced the 4x5 system with a Tech V and 4 lenses, and bought my first Leica M4-2 and two lenses with the rest. I might have bought a Rollei 2.8F TLR as well, but I'm not sure. Never replaced the stereo.

21. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I once didn't have something stolen....
    Managed to leave a pretty good SMC Pentax lens on a wall in Redruth, Cornwall. When I came back several hours later it was still there, so either a) no-one saw it, b) Redruth folk are honest or c) anyone who saw it had a Nikon or Canon system!

Steve

22. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Is that a real word? In the UK we say burgled.

It's usually the US version which is shortened rather than our version.

Steve.

23. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    have i ever been robbed?

the short answer is yes, a handful of times.
    when i was in high school a neighbor broke into my car
    and stole my calculator ...
    in high school i was a news paper carrier, and i saved
    and saved and eventually had enough for a nice racing bike ( bike not moto )
    i upgraded the freewheel and everything else ... and in college a few years later
    someone stole it ...

a friend lifted one of those vacuum pump things with the rubber cork from my studio.
    someone grabbed my college ring.

when we moved from boston to providence, the moving company didn't have a interstate license
    (they lied)
    and they stole a box of our stuff they saw us packing at the last minute.
    inside was a dremel, 5 or 6 nice photography books, all our flatware,
    and a hand made folio of 60 or 70 contact prints ( 4x5 ) i made of a city block that was
    being torn down in cambridge, ma. it was like a habs project,
    but i did it no-fee .. i made 3 hand made folios of the prints and donated
    one set to the library and one set to historical commission
    and kept one set for me ...
    the project consisted of building and people portraits
    --- exterior views, interior views, birds eye views, and portraits of people who worked in the city block &C ...
    everything probably dumped everything but the dremel,
    and since they didn't have an interstate license we had no recourse.

soon after we moved into our apartment, the kid the landlord hired to
    do yard work, odds 'n ends &C for him tried to jimmy the door of our place
    open and grab what he could.
    my wife came home and was climbing up the stairs and scared him off.
    she heard his footsteps in the attic, saw all the wood shavings and doorframe
    on the ground and when she looked out the window, she saw the landlord driving off with the kid ...

knock wood - its been almost 10 years, and nothing stolen in a while. lots of misplaced stuff, but nothing stolen.

24. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes.... For all the stuff I can't find, someone may as well have stolen it!

Steve.

25. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format

LOL i am STILL looking for my lightmeter ( been 2 or 3 months now )
    i must have put it in a "safe place"

26. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Last June I gave away three Olympus XA2s which I wasn't using because I already had an original XA. I have not been able to find the XA since then.

I did find my Weston Master III meter last week though after wondering where it was for a couple of months. I think the trick is to pretend you're looking for something else.

Steve.