Didy Filter...

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ChristopherCoy, Feb 3, 2013.

1. ChristopherCoy

ChristopherCoy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a lot if friends who work with hot glass, mostly torch work.

They use didymium glasses so that they can "see" the flame. It's purple glass that cuts out the yellow/orange glare.

I know I can get didymium plates that could hold in front of my camera, but is there an actual didy filter that I can put in my hassleblad? How would such a filter reproduce on a B&W negative?

I'm wanting up photograph a friend while he works pretty soon.

2. pgomena

pgomena Member

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format

hey christopher

is there a way to borrow their glasses or a spare pair
    and just hold it infront of your camera ?

it might be easier ( and less expensive ! ) then buying
    photo grade glass that might be a pspecial order ...

have fuN !
    john

4. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Didymium filters are a not-uncommon off-the-shelf item sold by a bunch of manufacturers including Hoya. They are a notch filter, i.e. they filter out a very narrow slice of spectrum; the ones used for glass blowing filter out the sodium emission line from high temperature glass.

You can have the notch at different wavelengths, which means for photographic use you can buy red-enhancing, green-enhancing and blue-enhancing filters. B&H sells a B+W Redhancer, for the Hoyas I think you need to get on eBay.

And this dpreview thread contains probably all the info you need for photographing glass blowing.

5. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Didymium filters used to be popular for filtering out the light from sodium (yellow) street lighting when doing astronomical photography. Not a perfect solution since those lights also used cadmium (a sort of dull red colour) as a starter as they warmed up.