Difference between Ilex #3 Acme Synchro and #3 Universal

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Removed Account, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Removed Account

Removed Account Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just received an Ilex-Calumet 8.5" f/4.8 Series S Caltar lens in an Ilex #3 Acme Synchro shutter. I had bought a flange off someone previously and found out today that it doesn't fit, in fact the diameter is wider by about an eighth of an inch. I am thinking that the flange might be from a #3 Universal shutter. My shutter does NOT say "universal" simply "#3 Acme Synchro, Ilex Optical Company, Rochester, New York, USA." Strangely enough it also has 2 aperture scales on it, one labeled 8.5" and one labeled 14". Is this lens a convertible? Hopefully I don't have to hunt down a new flange for it and I'm just missing something... Maybe I'll take a trip to the hardware store tomorrow and see if they have anything I can make do with for now.

- Justin

2. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    #3 Acme and Universal shutters are the same size. The Acme is cock-and-shoot, the Universal is self-cocking.

Your lens is convertible, the 8.5" scale is for the complete lens, the 14" scale is for the rear cell.

www.skgrimes.com will sell you the right flange.

3. Mark Sawyer

Mark Sawyer Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Depending on what lensboard yopur using, and whether you could get by with a fairly thin retaining ring sort of solution, you might be able to disassemble a filter and us the female-threaded part of the mount. I have a couple of these lenses, (they're great!), and the threads are a common filter size, I think 49mm...

Or perhaps a step-ring from the local camera store?

4. Removed Account

Removed Account Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Mark! I'll try some out at work tomorrow and see if it'll make do until I get a proper flange.

- Justin