Differences between bulblamp & coldlight

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by hka, Jan 10, 2008.

1. hka

hka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does anybody know what the differences are in using a bulblamp condensor enlarger or one with coldlight. I've heard that two types of coldlight nowadays are available, the fluorecent tubes and the led light ones.
    My concern is, when using one of the coldlight heads, that the prints are less crispy and shows some lack in the highlights. Can I say that coldlight head systems tends more to a diffussorsystem. Is that the same for both types (fluorescent and led's)? What do you think are the Pros and Cons?

2. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I canĀ“t comment on your specific cold light issue, but I own both a Durst Laborator L1200 with a diffusor head (Ilford Ilfospeed Multigrade 500H) and a Durst M670 with condensor head. I have never been able to tell the difference... (well, honestly I didn't do a 1:1 test with the same negative, but I have never been disappointed with the sharpness / crispness of both)

I think this issue is overrated, but that's my 2cents worth :tongue:

I think it's more down to spending time to get used to a specific enlarger's response in terms of contrast, and your darkroom skills in delivering a good print. (and good eyes to check sharpness using a grain enlarging focuser)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2008
  3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Harry most bulb type enlarges use a white coated lamp anyway so are quite diffuse, and you'd have difficulty seeing any real difference.

Ian

4. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have cold light, color head diffusion, condenser with white frosted blub, and point source (converted Russian 35mm enlarger), point source is quite noticeable, sharper with increased contrast. I dont see much difference between the others.