Different Tri-X Labels

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Cold, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Cold

Cold Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi all,

Just yesterday, I noticed that the last two rolls of Tri-X I shot had slightly different labelling.

Both rolls developed just fine, I was just curious as to whether there was any difference in the film inside.

[​IMG]

2. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd guess that it's just a design update on the cassettes and that the left-hand one is the newest? That appears to be printed in two colors, rather than four on the right one, presumably therefore cheaper to manufacture?

3. horacekenneth

horacekenneth Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I do believe the one on the left is newer.

4. Cold

Cold Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thank you both!

5. Aristotle80

Aristotle80 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The older cassette also has the old "Kodak" typeface. The two color cassette on the left has the new lettering with the rounded "d" and "a". It was such a pointless change, I like the previous "Kodak" typeface much better. They made the lettering switch around the same time Kodachrome was discontinued, so I have that strong negative association. They took their time changing product packaging for different lines.

6. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look at the "d" in Kodak. The one on the left is current. If the other one is different, then that is older and probably came before the logo change.

PE

7. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just to muddy the water a bit: When developing, before I shove the usual things into the changing bag, I cut the tongue off the film leader. I always use the same sissors. Always. The darkroom is always within a few degrees either side of 68. Yet sometimes the cutting action feels different when the scissors cut through the tongue. It even sounds a bit different; a bit, I don't know, crisper. Like there has been a change in the plastic of the base. I have three distinct batch purchases of Tri-X in the freezer but I don't use it in any particular order; I just grab a handful and drop it in the Domke, so that might explain my hearing this difference randomly. But I'm not imagining it.

8. mfohl

mfohl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I ordered some Tri-X from B&H a couple of weeks ago. I just put it in the freezer because I have plenty of older stuff. So I opened a box, and it was the newer can, the one with no green. I should probably check the Kodak web site to see if there are any different processing recommendations.

9. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    By all means let us Know. I also opened a brick I just got from B&H and it is also in the "new" colour scheme. Some I got a couple of months ago is not.

I would NEVER have noticed the change in the Logo if this thread had not pointed it out. I wonder how much management effort went into the change. I still prefer the "Giant K" version in any case.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2013
  10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At least some of the changes of this nature are most likely due to the fact that, along with the reduction in Kodak manufacturing sites, there seems to be a reduction in area specific distribution, marketing and labelling.

11. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't care what the packaging looks like, as long as it can be bought.

12. mfohl

mfohl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I checked the Kodak website last night, specifically for the Tri-X product. There was no mention of either packaging changes or content changes (e.g., exposure or processing). So I suppose we can assume there have been no changes. And I buy film and throw it into the freezer precisely because of the possibility that it may not be able to be bought. And I think at this point I have enough to last my lifetime ...

13. John Bragg

John Bragg Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Me either. I am just glad to be able to get it. I have credible alternatives but there truely is only one Tri-X.

14. Red Tractors

Red Tractors Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tri-X forever! (I hope)