Different types of bay 70 hasselblad polarizing filters

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by bowie, Mar 17, 2011.

1. bowie

bowie Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Hello,
    Does anybody know what is the difference between those polarization filters?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Better glass or coating? Is one of them slim version? Which one is a new type? I need a filter for my CFi 50 mm f/4 lens
    thx,
    Chris

2. rawhead

rawhead Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The one on top seems to be a circular polarizer, while the one below seems to be a linear polarizer.

3. bowie

bowie Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Thanks for the response, but seems that both filters are linear, see here:

[​IMG]

4. Pgeobc

Pgeobc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As long as the camera does not require a circular polarizer, it does not matter which you use. Not only that, but why not arbitrarily pick the narrow mount for a wide-angle lens and get it over with? Moral of the story: pick one and run with it.

5. bowie

bowie Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    sure, but I would like to know the difference anyway, that's why I am asking

6. Pgeobc

Pgeobc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am inclined to think that there is no appreciable difference except, perhaps, a difference in age/manufacturing dates. That might introduce some variable, but not enough to matter. I think that if one were a circular polarizer, it would be marked so; they usually are.

BTW, I love my 50. It is a bit clunky, but it is sharp and renders very well, indeed. Maybe I should get a polarizer; right now I only use a KR1.5. I had trouble getting used to using that extra focus ring, but once I got the hang of it by reading Hasselblad's official instructions, it seems easy.

7. bowie

bowie Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    I have found more pictures in the web and both filters are marked LIN, so they are not polarizers.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2011
  8. Pgeobc

Pgeobc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BTW, your 50 has a reputation for allowing one to add junk on the front end without vignetting. I see people recommending a Bay 70 to Bay 60 adaptor or Bay 70 to "something smaller" adaptor. I even see people recommending adding a Bay 70-77mm adaptor and a shade on the end of that. It must be pretty tolerant of add-ons.

9. bowie

bowie Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    I have already bought bay 70 filter on ebay. It is second version, while in the ebay picture first version was shown. That's why I am asking