Digiphone cams and exposure

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by Markok765, Jun 9, 2006.

Would this be useful to you?

1. Yes

18.2%
  2. NO

81.8%
  1. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Would there be an app that would allow me to use my phones camera as a light meter? is this even possibe? i would like to put it to good use besides making holga type photos.
    Marko

2. rogueish

rogueish Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    cell phone light meter???

I already have a good light meter and never have my cell turned on when photographing.
    I doubt many cell/camera manufactors would be interested in the software required to set up your phone to double as a light meter. If you could get the mass digital crowd interested, then there would be a larger market.

But then digicams don't need a hand held meter...

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you want a really compact light meter, take a look at the Gossen Digiflash or Digisix.

4. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, definitely not, I have no interest in in a cell phone that takes pictures, plays mp3s, has 30 ring tones, internet access, and tells you the time in Capetown. It wasn't easy but I managed to buy a cell phone that just makes calls and sends text messages.

5. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But wait. You could send the thing to the local lab. Have them courier the print back. It would be like a real slow polaroid.

6. phatcactus

phatcactus Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's the exact same idea I had when I got my first meterless camera. I don't see it happening any time soon, unfortunately.

7. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    why don't you just learn about sunny 16 or get a black cat exposure meter ?
    its better to rely on yourself / learn to read the light ...

8. morkolv

morkolv Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nope!! But I have used my phone built in timer to time for long exposures...

9. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    This is true. When I attended an albumen printing workshop and we all had multiple prints in the UV exposure unit and prints in various stages of toning and fixing, all timers, watches, cellphones, and iPods were pressed into service.

10. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

The Digisix has a stopwatch, alarm clock, and even a max/min thermometer built in. Maybe they can add a cell phone in the next model :smile:

11. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used a friends Canon 10D as a polaroid of sorts, for pictures where straight exposure would not give me the appearance I wanted (and I don't have the know-how to determine it correctly by extrapolating from a meter). But given the capabilities of a dSLR (metering modes, ASA settings, decent lenses, etc.) its still a long leap away from your cell phone - which produces a picture based on some simplified algorythm without telling you how it did so, how it arrived at this exposure, etc.. I don't see how a cell phone would be any help since it gives you no useful information to even base a guesstimate on. Its bad enough that the digigizmo has a depth of field of a pinhole - and the cellphone would be even worse. It would be like basing your plans for the future on a sci-fi novel: no relation.
    Make calls with phones - I am on the same page as Mr. Boyd here: give me a phone that calls and recieves calls! Is that too little to ask???!!!:smile:

Peter.

12. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    After driving ¾ of an hour I discovered I had left my Sekonic 505 light meter in another bag. The weather report indicated I had about three hours of sunshine ahead. It was the first day above freezing temperatures in about a month. I decided to download a light meter app and try it rather than give up for the day and hope for similar weather soon. Cleveland, Ohio lakeside is not known for sunny winters. Gray is the predominant shade.

I decided to try Pocket Light Meter by Nuwaste studios for IOS or Apple 5 cell phone. At $9 a sheet for 7x17 film I was taking a chance, but the exposures seemed right based on previous experience with similar light in the same area.

When I got home I took out the Sekonic, a gray card and the cell phone. The readings were exactly the same. Developing the first two of six negatives looked quite good.

One person’s experience.

John Powers

13. Light Guru

Light Guru Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    John you realize that the last post before you on this thread was 8 years ago right.