Digital compact that can serve as a great light meter?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by l2oBiN, Nov 17, 2011.

1. l2oBiN

l2oBiN Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I need to purchase a new digital compact for the miss's "happy snaps". It should be of reasonably good picture quality, but also light, and compact. I am hoping to kill two birds with one stone, by getting one which also serves as a great light meter.

Any suggestions of a good model?

2. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Frankly, I don't think they're really interchangeable. Something like a Canon G12 isn't cheap. I'd get an inexpensive Canon/Nikon/Sony p&s and shop for a used meter. Besides, there's no way you can do incident metering with these. No clue what you're looking for in a meter besides it being "great." Not sure this thread will survive, anyway, since it's "APUG." You might try photo.net.

3. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would say an Iphone with a light meter app.

4. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    A good used lightmeter costs less than a new digital compact camera, then you'll be able to shoot quality images on your film camera.

5. gtyler5

gtyler5 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    digital cameras do not use light the same as film therefore they don't meter the same.

6. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Don't know which model to recommend. I do use my Nikon Coolpix 5000 as a light meter. Need to do a lot of test before it would work.

7. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    + 1. I use my iPhone meter app when I am out doing "happy snaps" and it works quite well. I always have my phone with me so I don't forget it either. No testing required.

8. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, unless you need fine spot metering, consider picking up a used nikon d40 or d40x or similar plus an old manual lens. Makes a great colour meter. Sure, the response is not the same as film, nor does it have to be. Remember that most meters use semiconductor elements to measure the light, not film!!! I've been using digital thingies for metering for ages and the results are basically perfect. I love the breakout of the histograms and colour temp measurement. Waaaay less expensive than a professional colour meter. And you get an instant proof of sorts. And no I don't feel the least bit guilty doing this when I am shooting a $20 piece of film.

9. derwent

derwent Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've used my canon sx120 as a meter on many occasions...always with pretty good results.
    As good as a handheld selenium or better.