Digital still cameras on the verge of obsolescence..

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Sean, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had predicted that in 5-10yrs time that digital cameras (DSLR's etc) would become obsolete and digital video technology would allow for high resolution frame grabs. There would then be no such thing as photographers, just videographers. I was surprised to see it's practically arrived today with Sony announcing a new cmos chip. This chip will allow 6MP frame grabs from video. This will only improve of course. I am curious how this will change the future of still photography when it gets to this point of obtaining all still images from edited video frame grabs.

Note the article even touts this as a good thing:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/sony-cmo...ionize-videography-and-photography-297824.php

P.S. Not looking for D vs. A posts

2. Lopaka

Lopaka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like just the thing for photojournalists. Some of these guys modified movie cameras back in the 1940's slowing down the fps so they could get still frame grabs without using mountains of film. Also seems like it could take the idea of 'if you shoot enough images, some are bound to be good' to the extreme.:rolleyes:

Bob

3. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, that just remind me that today I went to see a couple of exhibits at the Mois de la Photo in Montréal. The theme is "narrative" this year, and for better or for worse, there were quite a good number of video installations.

4. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The sky is falling.

I let the future stay the future.

5. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    sean:

i spoke with a ad rep in california a few months ago,
    she said that companies have been into this sort of thing for a while now.
    at trade shows the first questions asked are if the people represented
    shoot video or just images ...
    seems that they just shoot dv for the website video and take screen shots for the adverts.
    its almost as bad as having to burn a cd before the "set" is torn down
    with no time to edit bad images, or at least retouch ...
    i would hate to be the "tech" that sits infront of the screen all day sifting
    through endless video to find the screen shot that works. looking at contact sheets
    and/or 35mm chromes is bad enough.

6. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This really doesn't change a thing. Those who hose-down the scenery and try to glean great images from the deluge have been around a long time. All it does is waste time and resources.

Problem is, there are only so many Garry Winograd types (one to my counting) and, as a famous motion picture producer once exclaimed, "From sh*t you get sh*t".

If you need further proof that people are not fooled by quantity over quality, just look the resurgence of popularity in LF in this day and age! People still value skill and craftsmanship.

I think pop culture will continue to shove crap on our plates, the only think is we don't have to eat it.

7. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The trend in newspapers now that printed versions are on the endangered species list is to use more video in online versions. I know of several "photo"-journalists that have already gone this route. With more demand from publishers for video, it makes life much easier for them. Even my wife, who is a print journalist, is being trained in video production!

8. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bill has it exactly right from what I can see, it won't be a still image of Barry Bonds hitting a home run that we will see, but a video clip, more YouTube than Times. The economics of printing a paper are not in its favor. Still it won't stop me from shooting stills.

9. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the big problem with video grabs is the shutter speed. I know with Super 8 cameras running at 18 fps & normal shutter angle, the exposure time is approx 1/40 second. I'd guess video will be close to that. So it seems people going down this path will end up with a lot of blurry still shots once they do the frame grab.

10. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sean, might I suggest you get right to work on OD-PUG; the Original Digital Photographers Users Group website. Imagine how fast that puppy would grow! Then again...most of them would probably be falling over each other to buy the newest gadget.

Murray

11. Baxter Bradford

Baxter Bradford Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I agree with 'goldie' that shutter speed will potentially be the achilles heel. Not just for fast motion, but also long exposure in low light which can produce such wonderful atmospheric images.

Adds another big chunk to the digital workflow. Not just all the post-processing, but deciding which image is the definitive one.... also going to require a whole array of mass storage devices.

That said, I can see there being a number of applications where this offers real benefits. But no, I don't anticiapate joining the checkout queue.

12. scootermm

scootermm Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Im sorry but I cant even begin to imagine dealing with even 24fps of 6MP images. thats 1440 frames in a min... thats 21,600mb.... IE 22Gbs roughly for a min of footage.... unless my math is real off... which is possible, but whatever the storage itll need to be LARGE

13. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No doubt. Storage may be an issue for a while, however IBM's latest breakthrough in molecular computing has them claiming 30,000 HD Movies can be stored on the head of a pin. We're likely heading to a future where entire lives are recorded in high definition..

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does that mean we will have one fixed to the top of our heads; like a cyclops?:surprised: With a wi-fi connection the the Ministry of Images perhaps.:smile:

16. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes... sounds like an editing nightmare, and I think media outlets, especially the older print publications are struggling with how information will be presented in the future. I'm not sure they recognize the type of skills journalists and photojournalists need.

Frankly, with the tools changing for photojournalists and editors, I'm not sure the process has to change all that much. Yes, a lot of photographers are becoming videographers, but many are employing effective slideshows with audio to present stories. Check out the multimedia section on Ed Kashi's site. He's combining still, video and audio very effectively in story telling.

It'll be interesting to see the skill set needed for photojournalism, and if media outlets will be able to identify how to most efficiently gather, edit, and distribute stories with the tools our there, now.

http://www.edkashi.com/

17. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think the editing of stills from motion pictures is just a different process from editing from contact sheets or transparencies. I suppose one first edits the footage for presentation as a movie, and in the process, you become sufficiently familiar with what's there and where the climaxes are, and then you just scrub through those moments to find the best frame.

The topic of photojournalists becoming video journalists is one of the central topics on Dirck Halstead's website, digitaljournalist.org. For cranky still film shooters, I recommend Bill Pierce's column-- http://digitaljournalist.org/archives/columns.html#pierce

18. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm... and if the movies are all "Angels in America" then we will at last have the answer to one of the oldest theological questions:
    How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

19. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I always read his column first... then ignore all the crap about video.
    As for the subject at hand, I have only one problem: I truly HATE video! Long live the still photograph!!

20. nicolai

nicolai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Sony is already dwarfed by the 12MP (@12-bit RAW), 60fps RED video cameras. Hose away.

21. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sean;

JVC makes an HDTV camcorder with 3 chips to eliminate aliasing. It allows frame grabs very simply. I have seen some startlingly good prints taken this way by Paul Gilman. He showed prints at one of our lunches made using the new Kodak printer.

PE

22. rhphoto

rhphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The still image, hell, the two-dimensional graphic representation, has been around for a little while. I guess around 20,000 years give or take. To me there is something so fundamentally different about pictures, photographs, paintings, drawings -- and moving images, that I don't ever see the line being blurred outside the realm of "art". Certainly in the case of sports reportage or the you-tube phenom, video is now the state of the art. But I suspect (I hope!) there will always be a distinction among serious artists between visual entertainment and visual art. Apples of a different orange, if you will.

23. Kobin

Kobin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So if we can invent the technology to display video images on newsprint media, we'll have newspapers to rivals the ones in Harry Potter.

K.

24. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Moving pictures in still frames has been done. Kodak has shown a method of reproducing up to 3 or 4 frames of motion picture in a flat poster like image. It was used for Jurassic park and Star Trek Generations ads. In the first, it showed a tyrannosaurus rex leaping out at you and in the second it showed the Enterprise flying away from you.

Oh, it was also possible in 3D.

This technology, along with incorporated sound bytes never caught on.

PE

25. nicolai

nicolai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    e-Ink make paper-thick, flexible video displays. They don't seem to be ready for prime time yet, but they work.

26. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    E-ink is under intensive R&D at Xerox. Our youngest daughter is apparently working on something related to it, but cannot talk about it.

PE