digital thermometer

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by SLNestler, Jan 14, 2003.

1. SLNestler

SLNestler Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have been looking at digital process thermometers, such as the one offered by Calumet, with a probe on a 10' tether. The $120-140 price tag seems high, and I'm wondering if anyone out there has found an alternative in, for instance, a scientific supply house.

Thanks,
    Steven

2. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Go to Kitchen places adn buy it there. Usually 10 to 12 inches long probe and about 30 smakeroos.

3. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hey, wait a minute isn't this an analog forum? And wouldn't you use a digital thermometer in a digital darkroom? [​IMG]

4. Cem

Cem Member

you can try Edmund Scientific, they carry all kinds of lab equipment.
    http://www.scientificsonline.com

I have one made by Kaiser, can't remember price but i don't think it was that expensive

5. steve

steve Member

6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    bhphoto.com in the darkroom section lists four or five different digital thermometers. The fanciest is the Kaiser with a separate probe for about $70.

7. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

8. Phil Handforth

Phil Handforth Member

I can recommend the Ilford DT30. Retails for about £120 but can be acquired used for alot less

9. bmac

bmac Member

I use a generic thermo I bought at a photo store for $20, works like a charm, and if I ever break it, I can replace it for next to nothing. I can't see why I would need to spend over $100 on one.

10. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I did this once tonight. somehow the list never posted my reply. Bed Bath and Beyond is where I got my digi therm. 17or 18 dollars. waterproof and works like a charm I also have a zone 6 compensating timer so with in reason that timer will take over.

lee\c

11. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Save your money. Like others have stated you can use an inexpensive kitchen digital that is more then accurate enough. I bought one from target for $16 and had a freind check its accuracy against a scientific digital at the university in town. he said it was accurate within a tenth of a degree.

12. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another cheap place is Radio Shack. They have a number of indoor/outdoor digital thermometers. The outdoor part uses a plastic covered probe at the end of a long wire. Just drop the probe into the solution and you can continuously monitor the temperature.
    j

13. BobF

BobF Member

I tested two types of aquarium digital thermometers with probes at a friends store. Three of each type by same distributor costing 25 and 40 dollars, all brand new in stock. They are similar to if not identical to some that are sold at Radio Shack.

They varied in readings by up to 4.5 degrees with no particular pattern. Three of them were within .5 degree of each other and my Kodak 14" mecury thermometer. I don't know about $120.00 digital thermometers but it seems to me that these digitals give one a false sense of accuracy. Besides, isn't consistency more important than absolute accuracy?

14. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    For all BW processes, I use the cheapest digital thermometer there is: My left index finger...

After 20+ years of darkroom work it is perfectly calibrated to 20 +/- 0.5°C. I check the calibration occasionally with an analog thermometer, but it doesn't seem to be drifting :wink:

15. Robert

Robert Member

Those cheap kitchen thermometers don't seem any cheaper then the analog ones from the photo shop. I've been considering getting one for colour but I'm guessing I need a little bit of accuracy.

16. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

17. Robert

Robert Member

Actually I think I'm using either that or an older model for B&W. I'm not sure it's accurate enough for colour.

$15 US is $21Canadian. About. Give or take.

The local high priced photoshop has one for not much more. It's analog but it's also designed for photographic use. Just spent the afternoon dropping my digital into chemcials. I know it doesn't like that-(

18. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    that is the one I have it is in a very fashionable yellow plastic housing and it water proof.

lee\c

19. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format