digital to color slide

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by rmolson, Jan 26, 2008.

1. rmolson

rmolson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Digital to slides

I amnot sure of which group to post to but here goes
    Here’s a switch, my son called ,he is in North Carolina, I am in Ohio. He has been invited to enter some of his wood work in a juried show. But they require color slides be submitted for judging. Of course all he has is a digital camera. I use to do this for my wife’s work with my equipment when you could get slide film and get it processes locally .Now I. am surprised that anyone is still doing this with slides. Any idea of who coverts digital pictures back to slides nowadays and in the North Carolina area

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Does he print them? If he does, then it's straightforward copy work, just like you did for your wife. There are several threads about copying flat art in the archives.

If you want to go from a digital file to a slide, then that's a matter for discussion on APUG's sister site hybridphoto.com.

3. maxbloom

maxbloom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tell him to call JW Photo Labs in Raleigh. They're an amazing lab with really affordable pricing for most things. They also have a shipping/courier service for people around and out of the state.

Their # is 919-832-8525

4. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Simplest answer is to have him make the best prints from the digital files possible, and in a reasonably large size, say 5x7 or 8x10, then you treat them like a copy job, and photograph them onto slide film. This will be cheaper to accomplish than trying to find a lab with a film recorder still set up to do slides.

5. agGNOME

agGNOME Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A & I offers this service @ 5.00 each. They can be uploaded directly.

6. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The lab I work for has that service as well, you can upload the files and we send the slides to you.

www.newlab.com

Feel free to call me directly Mon-Fri, 415-905-8555.

Thanks,
    Matt

7. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    One question, though is whether slides produced directly from the digital files are acceptable for the competition. Presumably they want to know what prints will look like hanging in the show (and to be assured of their existence), and they might want copy slides of the actual prints.

8. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    From the OP, apparently, the slides are those of the woodwork his son is entering into competition.

9. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sorry. Forget what I wrote. Somehow I glossed over that and jumped from "he has a digital camera" to the idea that this was a photography competition and he needed slides of his work.

In that case, it really is a different thing to photograph three-dimensional art, and the main issue is to be able to light it in a way that shows it off well.

10. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's what I do. Alternatively, just photograph the woodwork with slide film.

David.

11. rmolson

rmolson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I appreciate all the ideas and answers in response to my query Thank you, I have sent the information to my son and it's up to him now.