Digitaltruth meter and F stop timer

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Mahler_one, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Mahler_one

Mahler_one Member

I have returned to the dark room after an hiatus of over 55 years and an intervening career as a medical doctor. My dear wife made me a present of a used-but mint-Durst 1200 with a color head ( at a price that was too good to pass up! ), and now the task is to decide if one should persist with the older test strip method of determining exposure, or if one should consider the "F stop method" of determining the "correct" exposure whilst enlarging. I will be using VC paper of course, and only developing and printing black and white images. I have a small but service-able darkroom. It is likely that the skill to create images such as have been exhibited here will be difficult to attain; however, my goal is to create prints that will accurately and admirably present the images that are captured. I will start with 35mm, and increase the size of the format(s )as my interest and skill increase. I mention the preceeding facts as an introduction to the following.

A search of timers, and of this thread, yields evidence of the wonderful reputation of the products developed and sold by RH Designs. I note, however, that digitaltruth also markets a timer and exposure meter for F stop printing, and that the product (s) is ( are ) covered by a wonderful warranty and is/are somewhat less to purchase then the RH Design products. Hence my query: I wonder if any on this thread might have used the digitaltruth products, and if so might they be kind enough to comment on the ease of use of such products ( I realize that F stop printing using a meter and timer has a definite learning curve ) and the quality of build and support of such products.

As an aside, it is so interesting to see the continuing use of film and the dark room even as digital photography gets all the public atttention. Moreover, it is refreshing to see a group of individuals so willing to take the time to help one another in the pursuit of common goals.

Edwin Mahler

2. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Buy the RH Designs timer from the link on this website. They will ship it from England. While you are at it get the paper flasher. That is exactly what I did. The timer, next to a good enlarging lens, is the most valuable darkroom equipment I have.

After a 55 year hiatus, you don't have too much time to figure it all out! I was in a similar but somewhat younger boat getting back into the B&W darkroom mode for the past 1-2 years.

3. Mahler_one

Mahler_one Member

Thanks Jerold. I am indeed leaning towards the RH Design products. Thanks for the advice about the flasher.

As to the amount of time left to learn...well, I have also gone back to piano lessons so I'm keeping my fingers crossed ( not while playing any scales though!! ) :}

Edwin

4. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Another delighted RH Designs customer here.

I have the StopClock Pro and would not be without it. An excellent piece of kit, very well designed, very well built and with excellent functionality. The amount of thought that went into it really shows. Worth every penny.

5. David Lingham

David Lingham Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The RH StopClock pro is a superb piece of kit. The f-stop method of printing is easy to understand and makes sense from a photographic point of view. I'm sure you'll get many more testaments from RH users.

6. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    RH designs stop clock pro - indispensible.
    I usually demo it on my workshops simply because it makes so much sense (
    I have no financial connection with RHD) - everybody wants to buy it once they see it working.
    Tim

7. wfe

wfe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the RH Designs StopClock Pro and love it. I don't know how I ever printed without it. I too have the flasher.

Cheers,
    Bill

8. naaldvoerder

naaldvoerder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Another vot for the RH products. Good support as well...

Jaap Jan

9. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

Edwin
    The RH Design Stopclock Pro is it for me. It's features for teststrip, burn in, split printing, dry down compensation etc are indispensible to me now. In addition Richard Ross is a fine fellow to deal with. And buy the flasher while you're at it, then you won't need a second enlarger till next Christmas.
    Mark (63)

10. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here's another vote for the RH Design Stopclock Pro. I love mine, and Richard provides excellent customer service. If mine broke, I'd immediately get it fixed or replaced.

11. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not try the Darkroom Automation meter & timer? The only way you are going to find something better is to try something new.

Total risk is $7 to ship it back if you don't like it.

12. mikeg

mikeg Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Another vote for RH Designs. They really are superb. I've got the Analyser Pro and love it.

Mike

13. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    RH Designs also have a money-back guarantee if you're not completely satisfied. Personally though, after the first printing session you'd have had to pry it from my cold, dead hand... :smile:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. timbo10ca

timbo10ca Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm also looking at this company, but was considering the Analyser Pro for its metering (which I think would be extremely useful). Everybody here seems to think the straight timer is sufficient- what am I missing (other than knowledge, skill and experience :wink: )?

Tim

16. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nicholas,

How does your timer differ from the RH one?

17. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nicholas:

Don't get too discouraged by this thread - I too am quite interested, and would be happy to know more.

Matt

18. timbo10ca

timbo10ca Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, definitely- I too am wondering this, and would like to save alot of money (it's what- half the cost for us in N. Am.?)! To me the RH system seems easier to use (and calibrate- it comes with a kit) because it is all right there for you to see (nice flashing lights, more buttons to use, etc) :wink: so you don't have to try to remember numbers/values as you are making adjustments. Essentially, is the Darkroom Automation meter/timer as versitile as the RH, and can it act as a densitometer?

Tim

19. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A comparison of the features, advantages, and benefits would really be a big help. Hope you do it. :smile:

20. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is some information posted by Nicholas (using the nick "nolindan") on this thread - http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/13559-rhdesigns-fstop-timers-7.html

I've linked to the appropriate page where the discussion of the Darkroom Automation timer began. For anyone interested in discussion of the RH Designs timer on its own then jump back to page 1.

Hope this helps,

Frank

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2007
  21. mikeg

mikeg Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I went for the Analyser Pro rather than the Stopclock Pro for a number of reasons.

I was probably a beginner to intermediate skilled printer and one of the hardest things I found was working out the correct exposure and paper contrast for a print. From a test strip I found it very difficult to see which strip was "right". I knew when I printed the whole image that it was wrong, but I just found it very difficult to work out how to correct the problem.

The Analyser Pro has helped me enormously. It tells me what paper grade to use to get the full range of tones in my print. It also gets me very close to the "correct" exposure. I still need to tweak things to get the final print, but the Analyser Pro gets me there much faster, less hassle and much less wasted paper.

Now if I was an intermediate to advanced printer who can just look at a negative or test strip and know pretty much what grade and exposure to give it then I would be looking at the Stopclock Pro. It's particularly useful if you do complex burning and dodging sequences, and it's superb for split grade printing as it has two timer channels.

The Analyser Pro has some of the features of the Stopclock Pro, for example it has the great test strip mode. Timing burning and dodging sequences is easy, but it's not as comprehensive as the Stopclock Pro. The Analyser Pro has only one timing channel.

So, if you're like me, a beginner/intermediate printer who needs a bit of help getting a good work print and who does fairly simple burning/dodging sequences then you'll find the Analyser Pro superb. However, if you are an advanced printer, into split grade printing etc., then go with the Stopclock Pro.

There's lots more info in past threads and on RH Designs website. Or pm or email Richard for help.

Cheers

Mike

22. bazz8

bazz8 Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    RH DESIGN

Get the anylser pro I use the anylser pro 500 (it is already calibrated for the Ilford 500 light box and it rocks) the first time i set up this unit a photo teck who calibrates enlargers and frontiers was staggered at a gd2 print with full tones from white to black in 10 minutes flat beats the print projection scale i used prior to that.

23. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the Analyzer Pro... I've used it for maybe six to nine months now, and I'm another "pry it from my cold, dead hands" person. I've got my developing and exposure routine down pretty tight now, so most of my negs print consistently, but having the Analyzer tool makes it sooooooo much easier to nail those difficult negs that for whatever reason fall outside the range of my standard neg.

24. Nicholas Lindan

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Comparison in new thread

I have started a new thread - "Battle of the Timers" - with my comparison of the Darkroom Automation and RH Designs timers.

Thank you for your interest.

25. Nicholas Lindan

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  26. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The timer comparison has been moved to the sponsers' forum:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum146/...omparison.html

Apparently that thread has now been deleted.
    I'm not surprised.

Maybe the group purchase of RH timers last year biased a few here who spent the bigger dollars and don't want to know of lesser priced alternatives.

Anyway, I appreciated your input Nicholas.