Dimension for full plate (6 1/2 x 8 1/2) holder

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Neanderman, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Can anyone tell me the distance from the film loading, hinge end to the side of the lock rib nearest the dark slide end of a full plate film holder?

Thanks.

Ed

2. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
  3. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You want to know the dimensions of the OUTSIDE?

No... I have several whole plate, half plate and quarter plate cameras. None of them have compatible holders - each is unique to the camera. There may be some sort of standard for the sheet film or for glass plates (but I wouldn't be surprised if that hasn't changed over the years or existed as different standards in different countries or for different purposes) but definitely not holders.

4. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I wasn't sure if there had been an ANSI standard set for the size or not. So, I guess not!

Next question: I have a Century Model 46, full plate, ca. 1907-15. Anyone know what the dimensions for their holders are? (And, yes, all I need to know for now is the outside dimensions -- my back is damaged and I want to fix it, but I need to know the dimension mentioned in the original post to fix it.)

Thanks.

Ed

5. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    In case anyone is interested, the 04-23-1907 patent found on some holders listed at

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=80644

is #851,281, which covers a pretty neat light trap for the dark slide.

(Sorry, I love patents and patent drawings, so I had to share. :smile: )

Ed