Director's Finder / Viewfinder to Preview Pics

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike1234, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Does anyone here use a director's viewfinder to preview before shooting? These are the types that have adjustable aspect ratio and zoom. I'd like one that I can add a W/A adapter to and I want a nice bright/big eyepiece but I don't want to spend a fortune.

Any experiences and/or advice? Brands/models/sources/prices?

2. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Fotoman camera used to (still does?) sell a very nice view finder with masks for varios farmats. They sold many different pano fomat cameras and so, would certainly have a finder for the format / lens combo you're using.

I'm just not really confident that they are still in business.

Their finders were very nice though....and didn't cost a fortune either.

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've used the two different Linhof finders (there are actually more than two, but there are two general types) and had one for 6x17cm that I think was made by Gaoersi, and I once had the Voigtländer Kontur finder for normal lenses with either 35mm or 6x9cm. They're handy things. I've often used the Linhof finder for setting up a shot or selecting a lens before setting up the camera.

4. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    most finders ive tried for framing cause too much distortion to be useful.
    When I am using a 4x5, I like to carry a medium-format 6x7 slide mount in my pocket.
    I whip it out and use it to use for framing.
    Some people attach a string to it marked so you can hold it at diferent distances for different focal lengths.
    If 6x7 is too small, you can also use a mat board cut to whatever size you desire.

You can also use a 35mm SLR or a digicam.

5. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The horseman finder is a gem. Unfortunately not made anymore. Got mine from midwest photo for $350. They usually have a few in stock.

6. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I use a current model Technika finder which has a 4x5 and a 6x9 mask. Focal lengths from 75mm to 360mm. It's near me 24/7 and a great tool..Evan Clarke