Dirty Negatives

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Pandysloo, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Pandysloo

Pandysloo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just got some film back from the lab. Upon inspecting it closer at home, there is what appears to be dried mud plastered over one of the frames. I'm not sure, but it looked like somebody stepped on it with a muddy shoe. I tried pouring some water over it and wiping it with a cloth, but the water formed a thick, sticky residue. Now I'm unable to load the negatives into a sleeve because it is so sticky. I won't have access to a scanner until tomorrow so I can't yet see the damage.

Why did the water form a sticky layer? Is using water to clean negatives a major no-no?

2. damonff

damonff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Rinsing them will not hurt them at all.

3. WHof

WHof Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Water won't hurt but lord knows what the material is. Best bet I think is to clean with PEC-12. However, the container does not list the ingredients, it costs at least $10 for 4 oz, and I swear it smells identical to denatured alcohol.

4. Pandysloo

Pandysloo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Weird, because when I poured water on them, the water solidified into a stiff gel before the droplets could travel to the next frame, and it collected a ton of dust.

I rinsed it in 91% rubbing alcohol and hung it to dry. Will report back.

5. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wait!

I know this is in B&W forum but what kind of film is it? Is it a traditional B&W film like Tri-X and Tmax OR is it C-41 processed B&W film? If former, washing with water is OK but if latter, if you do that, you'll have to stablize it after washing. I would suggest talking with your lab before doing anything.

6. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now you know why I don't use labs.

7. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Have you been in touch with the lab and complained. That would be my 1st step. let them know your dissatisfaction and wait for their response.