Disapointing Delivery

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Rick Levine, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Rick Levine

Rick Levine Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    After winning a Gravity Works 20x24 print washer on Ebay I finally received it via UPS. After opening what I thought was a well pack box I noticed the damage. The upper right corner of the washer was completely broken off. What a disappointment! I paid with Paypal and they and the seller said they would make it good as well as UPS but am I bummed out or what!

I haven't completely unpacked the washer, I have to wait for the UPS inspector to view the damage but I'm sure I'll not be able to get the full value of a replacement print washer from any of the parties. I'm including a photo of the most visible damage. I may post more once it is unpacked if I'm not too depressed.

[​IMG]

2. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you can find all the pieces, this could be fairly easily repaired with cyanoacrylate glue and a little patience.

Ed

3. Rick Levine

Rick Levine Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I know it can be repaired and I have a special acrylic cement that works even better than cyanoacrylate. But it's just the thought of viewing the damage whenever I use it that is bothersome. I just need to get over it, I know. I think that is the problem when winning something at auction. It is more than just an item, it is a prize.

4. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am in New Mexico with a brand new 20x24 Kostiner print washer for sale.

5. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My 20x24 print washer from Nova Darkroom arrived on a pallet with a huge amount of packaging.

Tom.

6. bill spears

bill spears Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rick - I feel for you, thats a real bummer.

I sell alot of stuff on ebay and heavy packing is a high priority for me but I guess there'll always be instances like this. Looks like it's probably been dropped from height.

7. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Or had something heavy lowered onto while it was stationery.

Hope you get on OK.

8. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Funny this idea of 'winning' at an auction.

In reality it's a booby prize: the 'winner' was the one willing to pay more than anyone else thought it was worth.

9. Shadow Images

Shadow Images Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The first washer I ever bought off ebay was a 20x24 orential for less than $100 shipped. When it arrived I heard the worthless delivery driver drop it hard outside my front door. He was in his truck on his way before I could reach the door. Sure enough it was shattered, no way I was going to get enough to replace it, worst ebay experience ever. I feel your pain.

10. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hopefully this gets made right and you will recoup your expenditure without difficulty. Bummer man.

11. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Poor packaging. UPS should, could, deny the claim which throws it back onto the seller and the packaging. Bummer.

Good Luck.

12. Mahler_one

Mahler_one Member

Now now Nicholas....buyers always pay what they think an item is worth....or at least they should, don't you agree? The market sets the price whether an item is new, use, at auction, etc. Ebay is no different, although I would agree that sometimes the excitement of bidding takes precedence over reality. Don't like what a camera costs....don't buy it until the price comes down, buy another, or pass...customers make such judgements everyday.

Stay well.

13. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, but in an auction, where no bidders have any privileged knowledge, the one who buys has an inflated idea of worth in relation to the other bidders.

The only rational reason for bidding at an auction is if all other bidders have an unreasonably low idea of the item's worth.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2009
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If that's a pic of how it was packed, I'd go to the seller or Paypal for refund or compensation .
    There's nowhere enough packing in that carton. There should be a good 3-4" of cushioning and at least two layers of cardboard on each side of the washer for reenforcement. I'm willing to wager as much as a nickel that UPS will deny that one.

16. dbonamo

dbonamo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am not sure what you paid, but in my experience over the last 2 years, I had 3 packages arrived damaged, in all 3 cases the items were less then 500.00 and UPS told the seller to have me hold the box for inspection, I did for a period of about 90 days, UPS never showed up and paid the sellers within 30 days, of course the sellers paid me also.

As far as Paypal and eBay is concern, I had a bad experience, I purchased a lens, the seller, a so called photographer himself, just laid the lens in loose newspaper and shipped. It was moving around in the box. UPS even made a note about it, however I still accept the box(which I should have not) and discovered that the lens apparently was dropped. The filter attached was shattered and bent. The lens filter ring was bent slightly but repairable. Fortunately the lens was Ok, I still contacted the seller and griped and wanted to return it. He said AS-IS no returns, I said it was damaged do to your lack of his intelligence (not my exact words I was kind) in shipping. He would not budge, nor would he take the time to file a claim with UPS, said I could if I want, but of course UPS requires the seller to. Paypal said there was nothing I could do, his work against mind..

17. Rick Levine

Rick Levine Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I will recover the cost probably from UPS as well as Paypal. Both acknowledge responsibility for payment.

Considering there was a reserve price that no one met and I was offered a second chance to buy it at the current bid which was less than the reserve, less than my top offer, and at about 1/3rd the cost of a new one, I do feel I was a winner. That is if it had not been broken in shipment. I have bought and sold quite a few items on Ebay and have only one other item broken in shipment and that was shipped from Canada to the US.

18. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I won't list my washer because it is just too damn big and heavy.

I have three enlargers I want to sell as well but just don't want the hassle of shipping them.

Instead, they just sit.

19. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    You'll be reimbursed twice? Are you sure? In that case, I'd like to sign up for the same deal. :tongue:

20. Rick Levine

Rick Levine Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Jason,

It was my understanding from Paypal that their reimbursement was because the item arrived "not as described." The UPS reimbursement is for the damage in shipping. Two separate cases. It still will not cover the cost of replacing the washer.

21. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I would never expect a large acrylic print washer to arrive safely through standard packaging, no matter how carefully it was wrapped. When I purchased my 20x24 Zone VI print-washer, I made a 12 hour round-trip drive in my car to get it. (Fortunately, the weather was beautiful and I love the Bay Area). The seller, a fellow APUGger would not have shipped it even if asked. Putting the washer on a pallet would be the next best thing to a personal pick-up but still risky. I would expect a full refund for the damaged item and FORGET trying to glue the thing back together! Try to buy locally next time- if you can.

22. Rick Levine

Rick Levine Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Changeling1,

I am a big fan of buying locally, if at all possible. Unfortunately, there is no place that I know of that has this size washer, locally. This is New Mexico, after all. Since I only paid less than $300 including shipping I went for the deal. I should be able to recover enough to cover most of the cost of a new washer and if I can repair the unit well enough to hold water I'll probably donate it to a school. Keep in mind, even the dealers have the washer shipped probably by UPS also. I think the manufactures double box them though.

23. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hope it works out

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2009
  24. yellowcat

yellowcat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When I worked for a company that fabricated custom plastic items from acrylic we took great care to package items carefully, several layers of bubble wrap and corrugated card.

We still had many items damaged by courier companies.

25. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    You should be able to return the thing and be refunded all the money you have put forth. If you can't, that really rubs wrong.

26. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Never mind. Let us know how things turn out