Displaying work

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by njkphoto, Jan 15, 2011.

1. njkphoto

njkphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi people.. I am sure that this issues has been beat to death but I am on a time-frame.

I am about preparing for my first solo exhibition and looking for ways to display besides the matt/frame route.

My question: Have any of you exhibited work with no frame just the photo mounted on thick foam core with a hanging wire? If you have is it possible to upload some sample?

I am open to other suggestion..I would like to save time and money but in way I want it to look bad.

Prints would be 11x14

Thanks in advance.
    n.:munch:

2. marco.taje

marco.taje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My personal taste, for a temporary exhibition in "friendly" environmental conditions, is to put the prints beneath simple overmats of a very light, warm tint. No frame, no glass. You can either hang them or put them on some table supports. They should be quite cheap, I usually get the prints finished in their overmats for roughly 1€ each.

Hope it helped, and congrats on your debut ;-)

3. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    There are several methods like you describe. One common method is to have it face-mounted onto the back side of plexi and then floated off the wall with a piece of aluminum bar on the back. I have some done this way without the plexi, just mounted onto a piece of rigid Sintra plastic with an aluminum frame adhered to the back so it sits an inch off the wall. It looks good. I should add a shameless plug that I am writing a textbook on contemporary mounting and display techniques for photographs.