Disposables?

Discussion in 'Lo-Fi Cameras' started by Markok765, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was dropping off a roll of Portra at the local lab, when i saw a disposable camera, 800 iso 24exp, for $10 with processing/prints. I bought this for the 'toy camera' look, and I'm wondering if it gives that look, and have you guys enjoyed using them?

2. rphenning

rphenning Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    it definitely gives that look. The local cvs was/is doing the same thing and I bought 2. Didn't much care for what I got back but that was my own fault, not the camera's. It's a fun way to just forget about getting nerdy on photography and just taking photos.

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The best optics in the disposable cameras are in the Kodak disposable cameras.

Steve

4. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm not that worried about optical quality! The camera I bought with 800 speed color, is it really 800 speed or just 400 and film latitude?

5. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nuh-uh! It's in the Fuji disposables! :tongue:

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, when I was at Kodak the optical engineers showed me the comparison tests.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2009
  7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Fuji or Kodak.... They're not disposable!

Steve.

8. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I peel them (the Kodak's) apart and hand in the film for processing (or do it myself) and then hand load a similar film when I recover the roll and pop the usually custom spool into a reloadable cassette. Then use a screw driver to wind the film into the camera and button it all up. Mine usally go out as all black the second time around. Do watch out for the flash capacitor- the terminal board can pack a wallop.

9. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have no idea, really. I was really just messing around hoping someone would chime in with "You two are idiots! Ilford's are the best!!!"

10. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i used a nice kodak disposable - pano
    back in the 90s when visiting friends
    in sam frank's disco

it came in handy :smile:

you can also open them up and put your own film in them!
    (they put them in a bin at the photo lab, to be recycled/reused ... or they used to )

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2009
  11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting parking job.

Steve

12. beala

beala Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This sounds like a lot of fun. I'll have to go out and get a disposable later today and put some bw film in it.

I also found these step by step instructions for reloading Kodak disposables: http://www.camerahacker.com/re-use_camera/index.php You need a darkroom, but that shouldn't be a problem for 99% of this site.
    A quick google yields a few more sites, too.

13. Denis K

Denis K Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would disagree. Disposable camera images don't look anything like Holga, et. al. pictures to me. I agree disposable camera images aren’t great, but they have a consistent engineered look to them. The image imperfection are balanced across the image surface, yielding as good an image as could be expected at that low price point. Surly these images don’t look like they were taken with a Leica, but you would be hard pressed to make improvements without significantly adding to the manufacturing cost of the camera, regardless of the number of hours of optical engineering you put into the effort.

Conversely, an image from a Holga type camera shows imbalanced imperfections. These images look like multiple incompetent optical engineers slaved completely independently and without any cohesive concept in mind. The resulting components were then just jammed together to make a camera. For example, the lens may have a sweet spot but it certainly doesn't cover the entire image surface. It's like the lens designer was working on a 35mm lens and then had it installed in a 120 camera body. The body design might have been done by the marketing department by someone that didn’t even know that the body had to be light tight but had his idea of what a camera should look like. I could go on - but why. That's half the fun with these cameras.

Denis K