DIY backdrop advice wanted

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by darinwc, Dec 22, 2012.

1. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, I am doing more studio work. I would like to make a couple backdrops. Does anyone have any DIY advice?
    What fabric is best and most economical?
    Should i use fabric dye or paint?

2. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are a lot of back drops that are made of canvas or muslin painted with acrylic paint.

3. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    My advice is that most of the time the raw material costs more than the pre sewn stuff and it's cheaper to just buy from a store unless you want cloth that reflects light and looks cheesy :tongue:

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You can do a whole lot with inexpensive seamless paper in terms of lighting it to create vignettes, etc. For painted backdrops, some of my favorites are el cheapos that I bought off eBay or CraigsList. The thing to remember is with longer lenses, wider apertures and closer focusing distances, you can let the backgrounds drop way out of focus for some beautiful effects. So look for something with a painted vignette. The color is really more important than the "scene."