DIY collodion material question

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by mark, Dec 23, 2009.

1. mark

mark Member

I am going to start bilding my stuff so I start on the road to collodian bliss. The max I will be shooting (until I win the lottery or sell the business) is 5x7 with my 8x10.

I need the internal measurements for a sensitizing tank. Gathering from what I have found on the net for larger tanks I need 1/2 inch on either side and two inches above the plate. Will this account for liquid displacement(SP)? The local glass shop only has 1/4 inch red plexiglass and IMO that is way too thick. So, I will have to order thinner, but in order to draw the plans I need some measurements.

Anyone willing to help out?

P.S. Anybody intrested in a boat shop?

2. smieglitz

smieglitz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've made a couple to these dimensions:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This one is actually for 11x14s.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2009
  3. 77seriesiii

77seriesiii Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    smieglitz, thanks for posting as I'm also interested in this. Where do you order the red plexi from? Also, you wouldnt happen to want to share 8x10 sized measurements would you? :smile:

thanks

4. smieglitz

smieglitz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I get the red acrylic sheet from Total Plastics, Inc., which happens to be based in Kalamazoo. I'm sure there are a multitude of sources for the stuff. I buy it in large sheets cut it on a table saw. Or better yet, spend a few extra dollars and have them cut it to size for you. A sign shop should also be able to dimension plastic. You might be able to purchase a large scrap cut-off at substantial savings.

As far as an 8x10 tank, I would probably just extend the height and width dimensions of the full-plate tank to 12" and 8.5" respectively.

7.5" --> 8.5"
    7.125" --> 8.125"
    10" --> 12"

Sorry, but I don't have a tank that size since I'm not fond of the 8x10 format.