DIY Slosher Tray

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by ParkerSmithPhoto, May 25, 2013.

1. ParkerSmithPhoto

ParkerSmithPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I found this thing at a garage sale and it makes a perfect slosher tray. Any idea what it is so I can find more?

Attached Files:

2. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I saw that exact thing offered on eBay a while back. The description said the seller didn't know what it was. I just assumed it was a purpose-made darkroom item. I forgot to bid on it. Would have only been a couple of dollars. I've never seen another, but like you I'd like to...

Ken

3. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it's not specifically for photography, could it be for basting or marinating?

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is a "slosher-tray"? The dictionary at hand does not know.

5. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    AgX: It is the common term for a sheet film insert for a developing tray that keeps sheets separated. It allows you to tray develop multiple sheets without manual handling (shuffling) - although obviously not as many sheets at the same time. It is also very useful for applying intermittent and/or reduced agitation techniques to sheet film development.

Although I'm not certain of this, I believe John Sexton may have coined the term. At least that was they guy I first heard use the word.

6. summerbee

summerbee Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    that definitely look like some "skilled" or "trendy" cooking tool, imho. never seen one before, i must say...

7. snederhiser

snederhiser Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    Is the tray made of Pyrex or simular oven cookware? Looks like a device to bake custard in the oven. Just my two cents, Steven

8. ParkerSmithPhoto

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just for clarification, the item referred to is made of stainless wire. (My best guess was that it was a stationery sorter.) The white tray is a standard darkroom tray.

9. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It is a slosher tray made of stainless wire. I have three of these for various sizes of film.
    I call them "baskets" since they are not really trays.

10. ROL

ROL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gerry Butler made them specifically for LF sheet development. I would not classify these as DIY, rather DIH (did it himself). He bent the SS wire around forms and soldered them in sizes from 4x5 to 11x14, until his hands became too arthritic. He was already retired when I bought mine (2 – 5x7) out of his remaining stock 10 years ago.

[​IMG]

Congratulations on the find, they are the best of the slosher–basket designs.

BTW, when using pyro developers (possibly others as well), you should be using a developing tray one size larger than the basket and not skimp on developer, for even results.​

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2013
  11. Ken Nadvornick

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very cool. And useful. I thought they might be purpose-built. They looked it. Sounds like a small cottage-industy item just waiting for someone who is retired to perhaps pick up.

Reinhold? Are you by chance listening in?

:w00t:

Ken

12. ParkerSmithPhoto

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Awesome. Is the interwebs amazing?

Thinking back, I must have gotten this in a large haul of darkroom equipment acquired early in the year. I'm such a pack rat that it's hard to remember from where all the junk comes. :laugh:

So far the Butler Basket has been used for ortho sheets in D23 under a very dim safelight. I was a bit concerned about the evenness of development but can gladly report that it is far superior to steel hangers.

13. Ken Nadvornick

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Formulary Sheet Film Developing Trays

But I still think thin stainless steel wire baskets would be preferable.

Ken

14. mark

mark Member

I've never worked at any of those places and I have been familiar with the "slosher" method since I started photography 20 years ago. But since you have never heard of it someone using what has become a pretty common term has a nasty habit?

That basket is a pretty sweet product.

15. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whatever works. I just move the entire slosher from developer tray to stop bath to fixer. I use a film washer now because I happened to pick one up for free, but before that I just moved the slosher to a wash tray and washed the film with a Kodak tray siphon same as you'd do with paper. That's one of the nice things about the slosher. You can do the entire process without handling the film. Takes more chemistry though.

There are lots of ways to make a slosher.

16. ROL

ROL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A link was provided with this information, as recommended by the designer. :whistling: