Do any Pentax MF cameras have timers?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by f/16, Aug 6, 2013.

1. f/16

f/16 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Neither my 645 or 6X7MLU have a self timer-I hate that. Do any of the Pentax's have it? That's the 645's only flaw in an otherwise near perfect camera in my opinion. It has so many great features-TTL flash, motordrive, darn accurate meter, second tripod socket for verticals, shutter speeds down to 15 sec. The timer drastically reduces the need to use a cable release(and allows yourself in the pic). I've gotten spoiled over Nikon's MC-10/MC-12/MC-30 style of electronic release-hate any other type. I hate cables, I hate wireless remotes :sad:

2. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Per the product literature I have, the 645N, 645NII and 67II all have electronic self timers.

3. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Arcane, mechanical self-timers can be found on the second hand market that will trip the 6x7/67, probably also the 645. They are plentiful. Pentax at one stage made its own for the 67. The thing to watch out for is to ensure the plunger is only long enough to trip the shutter and no more (both the 6x7 and 67 bodies have short-throw triggers, thus cable releases/timers with long-throw plungers should be used with caution), as an excessively long plunger could potentially jam the shutter; conversely, a short one (not very common) may bottom out without triggering. Unfortunately the only way to find out what works is buy one! :smile:

Have a look here: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...0&_from=R40&_nkw=Mechanical+self-timer&_arr=1

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
  4. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

The OP has the older 645 (no N), 6x7 / 67 bodies, neither of which had a self-timer.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
  5. Kyon Thinh

Kyon Thinh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pentax 67ii sure has self timer.

6. Tony-S

Tony-S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Bronica RF645 has a timer.

7. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I've gotten a bunch of the mechanical add-on timers like Poisson mentions above, you can have one if you're interested.

8. tnabbott

tnabbott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not a Pentax.

9. f/16

f/16 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the link. I didn't know about these.

10. f/16

f/16 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

The two I got from fixcinater are adjustable. So I assume most are??? Just start out very shallow then adjust deeper in small increments until it's just enough to trip the shutter.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2013