Do SLR's put you "on the radar"?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Arcturus, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Arcturus

Arcturus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I noticed something unusual today. Someone gave me a very nice Nikon n90s + lenses for free so I took it out for a try around town. Now I usually shoot 6x6 folders or small 35mm rangefinders so most people don't even notice my camera. I'm usually as invisible as someone taking pictures with their cellphone. But once I started shooting the big Nikon I noticed that I was getting a lot of looks from other people taking pictures. It was making me uncomfortable with so many people checking out my camera, some people were even watching to see what I was taking pictures of with such a camera. I didn't know if they were judging me or just curious. It does look a lot like a modern DSLR and has a somewhat "professional" look to it I guess, I don't know if that had something to do with it. Never have I experienced this with my usual smaller, older cameras. Does anyone else get this with SLR's?

2. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nope. I never get looks like that.

3. Nathan King

Nathan King Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    This happens to me every time I take out my medium format SLR gear. Everybody suddenly stares at the camera and where it's pointed as if they're expecting to see a world class image.

I think people are curious since that is something most people rarely or never see.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

4. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I reckon SLR's are the MOST invisible of any cameras I use - everyone has one and so no-one pays them any regard. Big wooden & brass cameras - that's a whole other story...

Marc!

5. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Did the N90s come with this lens? I can see that being an attention grabber...

[​IMG]
    Nikkor 300/2

6. Red Tractors

Red Tractors Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find that my Film EOS cameras get funny looks while the K1000's go unnoticed.

7. Aristotle80

Aristotle80 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My TLRs and 6x9 folders get a lot more attention than my SLRs. Having said that, I will say that something else happens when I use my SLR. So many SLRs are digital now people ask me if they can look at the picture on the screen. Or they'll ask me to "delete" a posed picture they didn't think went well. When I tell them there is no screen and no delete they express surprise or disappointment that it's a film camera. This only happens when I use the N2000, which doesn't have a winding lever. That sort of thing doesn't happen with most of my cameras, just the plastic shelled SLR.

8. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I brought my 5x7 view camera out to just show it off to a client and ended up lecturing a group of kindergartners on how it works, per request of their teacher. :D

They seemed real interested in something that old that does the same thing Mommy's Iphone does. :laugh:

9. marenmcgowan

marenmcgowan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I get more looks when I shoot my medium format cameras... I really get a lot of varied reactions when I load film.

10. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    large digital slrs have pretty much destroyed the concept of "candid photography" in the news business. Bring out one of those monsters and people automatically perform.

Decades ago the dictum of LIFE photographers was that you had to become invisible -- and with a small Leica or Nikon, both very quiet, you could. It is impossible to do so with a massive lensed DSLR, or even a film SLR, and while they do get a lot of different shots than you can with a small rangefinder, the is an intimacy that is lost. LIFE's brilliant photo story by W. Eugene Smith about a day in the life of a country doctor would have been impossible, or at least a lot harder, to shoot by a photographer loaded down with the usual couple of hulking giant lensed cameras.

Of course, very few photographers today are W. Eugene Smith, too. I keep saying, great photography is 5 percent what yu shoot with, 95 percent you.

http://life.time.com/history/life-classic-eugene-smiths-country-doctor/#1

how much you? The article says that Smith spent several days with the doctor taking pictures with no film in the camera so the doctor could get used to Smith, and he spent several weeks on this one assignment. There is no news publication in the country today that would spend that kind of staff time/money. Maybe a freelancer could do it, I dunno. And then nobody publishes that sort of photo essay any more either, so what does it matter?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2013
  11. hdeyong

hdeyong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Summicron, thanks for that link, it is incredible.
    I'm starting to buy a photo collection book now and then, and Smith is on the short list.
    Back on subject, I find a largish SLR will attract attention depending on where you are. In touristy areas, usually not, in small quiet towns where you're a stranger, you bet. Then, the excellent little Rollei B35 does it's stuff.

12. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    a news photographer in Iraq was killed by an Apache helicopter pilot because his long lensed DSLR looked, via targeting camera, like a bazooka or RPG.

"Shoulda used a Leica M3" was my first thought.

13. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I took my NikonD800 into town and one enthusiast wasasking me if I can still get fil,m for it.Itold him "on and off if you're lucky".

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My wife told me off when I was loading my Mamiya 645 with my back to a nearby group of people at a tourist spot because she said me winding the handle with my back to the people when they couldn't see the camera looked odd!!:laugh:

16. Helinophoto

Helinophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I mostly shoot with dslr's/slr cameras (Canon 1ds mk II, Canon 1v, 5d mk III with battery grip), never felt any special attention, except from the times I use my white lenses on them. (canon 70-200 f2.8 L mostly).

However, I've been on two outings with my Rolleiflex'es in the city.
    - Both times I either got loooong looks/stares or had to start lecturing people about what this actually was.

The most discrete you can use now-days, is a small DSLR/SLR or a black compact, they are everywhere.

17. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I get attention when I use my RB67.

Jeff

18. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    In UK there has been a certain amount of unwanted attention attracted by 'real' cameras including film and digital SLR's. Some people who don't know any better automatically assume that you are either press or someone with a tendancy towards taking images of children to post on the web for pedophiles to savour, or on the other hand you are somehow connected with a terrorist organisation gathering information for the next attack. (It has never actually happened to me)

Both way, way, over the top in their assumptions, it is just plain unconnected thinking 'cos a camera-phone would be a far more effective tool and attract less attention

19. LightBurn Photo

LightBurn Photo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    ahha) I do get looks, but mainly coz of the unusual skin colour of my cameras!

_MG_8346.jpg

20. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Humm, I'm mostly ignored with either 35mm or my M645. The Yaschicamat 124 gets admiring looks and comments, but I've never had to lecture anyone on what it is. They all know it's a camera, and an old one, though those who stop to talk are surprised when I say you could get one almost just like it except more black, less chrome and a few different internal gears, brand new into the 90s.

21. mauro35

mauro35 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I usually take photos with my EOS film camera in scarsely populated ares, which in Finland are not so difficult to find after all. Sometimes I do get strange looks from squirrels and hares though...

22. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Got a source for that item?

I usually get some looks when I wander around with the F5.

23. Arcturus

Arcturus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've had the opposite reaction it seems with TLR's. I've never had a second glance using my Mamiya C330, and nobody has ever asked me about it. Maybe it's just this city, the weirder something is the harder people try to ignore you. With the plastic SLR though I felt I was in the gear game again. Like other SLR/DSLR shooters were checking it out to either scoff at or envy the gear, depending on which lens I had attached.

24. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very rarely, but then I use 60s Nikons with primes, no zooms. Now if you want attention, get out there with a mahogany 8x10 on a big tripod.:wink::laugh:

25. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is probably the incident referred to: Reuters.com.

26. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    A Leica M or Canon P looks just like a Fuji x100 so nobody pays much attention.

Now an RB67 gets comments.