Do Yashica TLR's require light seals?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by camperbc, Jun 13, 2012.

1. camperbc

camperbc Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I am getting conflicting stories as to whether Yashica TLR's (such as the 635) require foam light seals. Some say yes, while others tell me that the L-shaped film door configuration would prevent any light leaks, thus eliminating the need for foam. As my "new" 635 has not yet arrived in the mail, I don't know what to believe! Can someone here please provide a definite answer one way or the other? Much appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Glen

2. tessar

tessar Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as I can remember my 635, which I bought new back in the Middle Ages, did not have foam rubber seals. When the camera arrives you can check. If it does have foam seals and these have deteriorated, an eBay seller called interslice sells replacement kits for $10-15. Highly recommended.

3. tessar

tessar Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, camperbc, I did some checking and found that the Yashica TLRs did have light seals! However, the word is that the seals were made of some string-like material, not foam, i.e. not as liable to deteriorate. I certainly never had light-leak problem witth mine.

4. moto-uno

moto-uno Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Glad I read this post.I've got 4 YashicaMats that I've owned for at least 5 years,
    never had evidence of light leaks.And now I check them and two have worn seals
    at the curved edge.Good thing I always used them with their cases.The materiel is definitely
    dark twisted cord and easily accessed[/B. Thanks for posting this,Regards,Peter

5. LyleB

LyleB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just a FYI.

I noticed Interslice was no longer active on Ebay. Here is an explanation:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum50/106590-jon-goodmans-ebay-business-down-drain.html