Do you have any prints of other artists on your wall?

Discussion in 'Antiques and Collecting' started by darinwc, Dec 2, 2009.

1. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seems to me that most people dont have any photography prints displayed at their house other than family photos.

Do you have any prints displayed from photographers other than yourself?

2. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No...but I do have some prints given to me by friends, and I have photo books that I like to look at. I have some art by others on my walls, but it is not photography.

When it comes to photography, I like to "snuggle up" with it in litho-printed form way more than I like to look at it on the wall.

3. photomem

photomem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, I have prints from the last print exchange hanging up. Stuff from Sweden I believe. I am too tired to get up and look at the moment. :smile:

4. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have just one... a reproduction of "Winter Sunrise: Sierra Nevada...". There's a very nice label on the lower front with the initials "AA". :smile: I bought it at a garage sale many years ago.

5. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I only have artwork by other other artists on my wall: paintings, comic book illustrations, japanese calligraphy and photography.

6. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I have several exhibition prints that I really like given to me by photographer friends over the years that I framed in identical frames, and have on my walls.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2009
  7. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I had a signed copy of "Yosemite and the Range of Light" many years ago that I really liked. I kept it on the coffee table and, unfortunately, someone soaked it thoroughly and didn't tell me so it molded all the way through. It made me sad to toss that one.

8. David William White

David William White Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've just hung three lovely lith prints that I bought from 'Mayfair710' (aka Marianne). A couple of more of her prints will hang at my cottage when I next get back there. As well, I have four photographs from two Toronto area photographers hanging, including a cibachrome, that compete for space with approx. 25 of my own prints. And like 2F/2F, I also have books (some signed).

I've got a couple of apuggers in my sights for future acquisitions as well.

9. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I buy and trade prints from and with other photographers. I have roughly 30 prints hanging, which are a mixture of other's and mine.

10. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I only have prints by other photographers on the main walls of my house, a few of my own prints are in a back room. The same is true of our apartment in Turkey although my wife had two of my prints on the wall before I moved there.

Ian

11. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Apart from my own, I have a Pt/Pd by Jorge, a one-time member of this forum.

12. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a lovely Travis Nunn, and a Jeff (and sometimes Eva) Bannow, which I received in a print exchange at Photostock last year. That is the good news. The bad news is that two unsuspecting photographers got stuck with one of my Caffenol prints. :D I also have several pieces of art and prints by local artists. My walls are looking pretty full... to the point that my wife gives me a funny look when I start putting one of my own prints behind some matte board.

Cheers,

13. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    yes, i have many images, including student work and that of photographers who names would be familar, none of my own. I also have other works of art.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have some LensWork Photogravures by Tillman Crane and an original of David Grant Best's photograph of Shiprock, New Mexico. I have one of my photographs hanging and a whole bunch of them leaning against the living room wall.

16. ooze

ooze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, quite a few. Some of them have been paid for, others were gifts.

17. mikeg

mikeg Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've never purchased a print, but I do have several framed and on the wall from other photographers obtained via print exchanges. These include prints by BWKate and Nicole BM.

Mike

18. r-brian

r-brian Member

I have 4 Clyde Butcher prints on my walls, including one from his original 'Limited Edition' series (number 1 of 3). Had Tom Manglesen's 'Polar Dance' but sold it a few years ago to pay off some debt (bought it for $280, sold it 15 years later for $1600).

19. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have prints from Bill Schwab, David 'Ike' Eisenlord, Kerik Kouklis, David Bram, Fay Godwin, Thomas Bertilsson, Marianne Priest, and Travis Nunn at my house :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2009
  20. Roger Thoms

Roger Thoms Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes, a David Fokos, bought on impulse about 6 years ago, been on the wall ever since and we are still totally pleased we the print. That's the one big name photograper we have. We have lot's of photography and other artwork from lesser known artist either purchased or traded. Way more than we have wall space for.

Roger

21. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    If it was just up to me I wouldn't have other people's work up but my spouse put's other works up. People are often wanting to trade or give me their work and I have a lot of it stored away.
    Dennis

22. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have almost all my walls covered with other photographers work on it. I want to have work that inspires me, makes me stop and slow down and see what wonderful work is seen and done. I have my library too.
    Then I grab my gear and go forth and try to do my work.
    I once attended a lecture by Carol Burnett and she shared that she stays fit by playing tennis. She likes to play against someone who is a better then herself. Gives her a challenge.
    I like to think that the work I have on my walls does this to me. And what I see on APUG's and other website galleries do for me as well. I'm trying to better myself by seeing work of others who I admire.

23. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a color shot from Emerson Matabele (I believe it's a cibachrome) and a color shot from Will Connor in my upstairs hallway. I have a black and white (selenium toned) by Janet Woodcock in my living room. I purchased all 3 at art fairs in New England and was very picky. I love all 3 (especially Janet's).
    I have a bunch of exchange prints ready to hang in my craft room, but haven't gotten around to it. Some are from APUGers, some from photochimps.com and some from camera clubs.
    I do have a couple of mine up in the mud room.

24. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a very mixed bag of stuff around the house - mostly photography, 1/2 to 2/3 of which is mine, but I also have a vintage Maxfield Parrish print, an etching of a bullfighter I bought in Segovia, Spain, a very large mixed media painting that hangs over the bed in my bedroom, a variety of Asian (mostly Chinese) watercolor paintings, and an antique pencil sketch of the cathedral in Siena. Most of the artwork in the house that isn't by me is antique or otherwise vintage, mostly anonymous.

Other than the big mixed media piece, I don't have much in the way of painting because I'm just not THAT into painting. I can't find much in the way of modern painting that appeals to me stylistically and is also in my budget. I saw some intriguing work in a gallery in Barcelona but it was well outside my budget, even for the small pieces, and the small pieces were not ones I liked. I keep an eye out when I'm travelling, and even around town here, but it's so hard to find something.

25. Rob Skeoch

Rob Skeoch Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have a mixed bag for sure.

One from Karsh
    One from Arthur Rothstein
    Bobby Orr flying through the air that he gave me.
    Henderson scoring the team Canada winning goal against Russia that Denny gave me.
    Two from Jorge
    Two from Ansel Adams

The rest of the walls have my stuff on them.

-rob

26. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I likey number three!