Do you have some memory of Sterling papers?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by peters8, Jan 26, 2013.

1. peters8

peters8 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi guys!I found some boxes of old Sterling paper.
    It's very old,my "pusher" said!...the model is "premium warm plus" grade 3.
    Do you have some memory of this paper?....do you think it works with lith?...Do you think it works with normal developer?thanks.
    Ciao

2. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes I do, and I found "old" to be fogged.

You will just need to check before investing too much time and engery in printing.

3. rrankin

rrankin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I agree, it will probably be fogged. But why not just print a few sheets and see what you get. I have a few sheets of Sterling's Lith paper left, but haven't used any in years, so expect it to be bad.

4. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tried a package or 2 back in it's day. Nothing special compared to the great papers available. Made in India.

5. HowieP

HowieP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Agree with ChuckP. Tried one box, not impressed, never went back.

6. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  7. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I used to deal with them a long time ago, Sterling has not been made for 10 years and the factory is long gone.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

8. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used some of their warm tone paper, but it doesn't store well, mine was very foggy after about 5 years. It was a nice paper but I was commited to using Agfa Record Rapid at the time for an exhibition (I don't mix papers).

Ian

9. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your link to your images. I have some of the same paper and have yet to test it - you've inspired me to see if it's still viable.

Also, that's the first time I've looked at EVERY photo on someone's flickr page! You've taught me that I REALLY need to open my eyes! I enjoyed all of your images immensely.

10. wilfbiffherb

wilfbiffherb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    wow thanks very much, very nice of you to say so. if you have some of the sterling rcvc paper i really recommend lithing it. straight prints seem quite soft with it but they look superb in lith, lovely pink highlights and mid tones.

11. Molli

Molli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Apologies for not replying to this at the time I read it a few days ago. After seeing your images on the Sterling paper, I went and studied up on lith printing. While I've always loved the results people achieve with this process, I'm afraid that, for me, it's going to have to wait until I have a negative worthy of the effort and expense! I think if/when I ever do this, I'm going to be making my own developer. Over here, the only ready made mix I've found is almost three times the cost of 'normal' developer. So, yes, definitely need to get my skill level up "in camera" before I go abusing perfectly good chemicals and paper by inflicting my banalities upon them :smile: