Do you keep your bulk loader in the fridge?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Michel Hardy-Vallée, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is, when they have film inside, of course!

I have three loaders laden with Tri-X, Plus-X and ORT 25. I'm not shooting a big lot these days (school!) and I was wondering if it's worth refrigerating the little guys. The Plus-X I have is the old Plus-X Pan, which I bought at a discount from a store that kept it for years in their fridge.

For now the loaders are sitting at the bottom of my closet in their cardboard box, but I wonder if it is worth putting them in the fridge.

2. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I keep about 7 of them in the freezer, inside ziplocks....

we actually went through this very question about 6 months ago, you might want to try the search feature..

But again, I guess there maybe something new to discuss on this subject.

But you might want to take a look at this thread....

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13280

Dave

3. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening, MHV,

I have three loaders. Since they're all used for B & W film, I just keep them at room temperature. The film in them, however, was stored cold beforehand.

Konical

4. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to keep my loader in the fridge in a ziploc bag, but now I just load up the whole hundred feet onto cartridges at once. That way I have the film ready if I need it; you never know when you might have a sudden need and not have time to make the rolls. An added advantage is that I can use a single bulk film loader for several types of bulk film.

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I load it all up at once--mostly 36 exp. rolls and a few shorter ones of various lengths. I freeze most of them and keep a few in the fridge so they can be brought to room temperature more quickly. I rarely shoot the short rolls, so I often have them left over from previous bulk rolls, so sometimes I roll the whole thing as 36 exp. (plus the last one, which is however long it is).

6. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm another one who loads up an entire bulk roll immediately (or sometimes in a couple of sessions, if I want to check out a bulk roll before loading it all). I then freeze the individual rolls, except for one or two I keep at room temperature, ready to use, and of course whatever's in my cameras. The main drawback to this approach is that I need to decide well ahead of time what roll lengths I'll use. It's mostly 36-exposure, but with a few 24-exposure rolls thrown in for good measure.

7. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ahem, yes, indeed. But you see, there is that very subtle difference between freezing and refrigerating, no? er...

8. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ahem, no, after a number of years doing this, I have found no difference at all..

Now if your taking the fridge or the freezer with you to the location, maybe...

Dave