do you shoot specific types of film in specific cameras?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by destroya, Sep 29, 2012.

1. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    for some reason i have been shooting dspecific films, B&W, color neg and slide in specific cameras. I don't know if its because i think meters in certain cameras do a better job than others with a certain film type, or its just OCD thing :tongue:.

I find that my Nikon F5 works great with all slide films, better than any of my other cameras. for color neg I find that my f80, n90 and F4 all do a great job. for black and white I really like my FA, FE2 and N80 as well as the F5. So am I crazy? my girlfriend thinks so! based on the cameras I have I would love to hear what types of film you think would be best suited for a specific camera. Or is it all a waste, just shut and shoot. Also do you have a specific film that you only shoot in a specific camera like me.

my cameras are all Nikon. F5, F4s, N90, N80, FA, FE2 and an F. I have also been wanting a F100 but not sure it will give me anything different from the cameras I have. Maybe its just that i dont have it and want it. so would the F100 fill in any holes i might have?

thanksa and happy shooting.

2. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes and no. With 35mm I keep my F4s that lives permanently in my car loaded with Portra 400, My F5 gets a mix of and Provia, Ektachrome, or Ilford B&W. My MF camera eats a diet of a dozen different emulsions and about the same for my 4x5.

I HATE, HATE! I tell you HATE color negative film with a passion. I only keep Portra in my F4 because it covers most any lighting situation I might encounter.

I see no need getting an F100 unless you want a lightweight F5. I've had a FM, N6006, N8008, N90 & N90s, F3, F4, F4s, F5. I sold what I didn't use and what didn't work well with my selection of lenses, so now I only have an F4s and F5 for 35mm. I love the metering in the F5 and the fact that I can use my G lenses with VR. But I like my F4s with my 50mm/1.4 the most because if someone tried to rob me I can beat them with it then take pictures of their dead body afterwards.

3. ric_kb

ric_kb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, for my F3 == Trix, F5 == (color) 400 neg

for my Hassy -- different backs solves the problem; but I use the backs for the same film (never change out the film 'tab')

this is all just for habit --- makes the task of picking up (which) a camera easier.

4. BradleyK

BradleyK Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I too have specific cameras always loaded with specific films (OCD? Perhaps...:laugh:). Too wit: F5 (E100VS); F6 (E100G); F2/F2AS/F3HP (Tri-X/HP5); M6x2(1xE100G, 1xTri-X/HP5); Hasselblad A12s (4xPanF Plus/FP4 Plus, 2xE100G/VS - depending upon subject matter/time of year,etc.)

5. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, but I shoot only B&W and the subject determines which type of film I shoot. Either slow or fast film.

6. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The F5 was basically made for shooting slides, it should do it well.

I basically use two films, that's it. Color negative porta 160, and B&W tmax 400. I like consistency between formats. I use tmy2 on 120 and 4x5 and 8x10.

7. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use all types of film in all my cameras. I haven't notice any diffrence. Not to start a 'fight' I do kinda like color negative film.:smile:

Jeff

8. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just shoot black and white in all my cameras. 100 ISO for the older cameras with a 50/sec or slower shutter, though. My SLRs, I stick to 100 and 400 and don't worry about film speed as I can adjust for that with shutter/aperture.

9. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    erm well I use the 35mm film I like in all my cameras...which is usually Fuji Superia 200 or Reala.

10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I am carrying two bodies, and only one has black and white film in it, and the bodies available come in black and otherwise (chrome or champagne) I'll put the black and white film in the black body.

That way I'll be less likely to become confused :smile:.

11. PentaxBronica

PentaxBronica Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I tend to avoid putting slide film in certain cameras. Mostly my SV, Spotmatic, KM and K1000 as the light metering on these just isn't accurate enough (they probably need a CLA but given it's only the meter that's out I'm not too bothered). I also try to rotate them as I know that long-term storage does cameras no favours - they need to be used. At present I have:

KX loaded with 200ASA slide
    ME loaded with 200ASA colour negative (rescued roll, it was in an ME F which died with a shutter fault so I hope I've only lost the four frames or so).
    P30n with 200ASA colour negative
    SF7 with Ilford Delta 3200

Next up will probably be the K2 with Delta 3200 and a couple of MXs with B&W and colour negative respectively. I only have one more roll of slide film left and the local shop has stopped selling it, given the extra hassle involved in non-process paid slide film this will probably be my final roll, so it'll go in something a bit special.

12. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I only use 35mm film in my 35mm cameras!

Steve.

13. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't care. I mix and match. They all deliver great results.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I only shoot black and white so no, I tend to stick to 400 for everything, both MF and 35mm, and my normal film of choice is Fomapan 400
    Richard

16. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon's matrix metering on film bodies like F100 or F5 works really well with slides but sometimes underexposes when using color negative or b&w. That could be one explanation why OP likes to use the F5 with slides.

17. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have monochrome cameras (my Voigtlanders) and colour cameras (my Zeiss Ikons) but I have no idea why - it is just what I do. The one time I put slide film in my Voigtlander Vito B it was astoundingly good.

18. hdeyong

hdeyong Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a Rollei B35, and it only shoots HP5 in rolls of 24. The meter is a bit hit and miss, and HP5 has good exposure latitude, and the shorter rolls are a little easier on those little, old nylon gears. Other than that, the HP5 and PanF go into whatever is empty.

19. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My cameras are poly-amorous, the only exception is the 616 box brownie that only gets paper.

20. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2012
  21. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, me too.

22. destroya

destroya Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I noticed that with my F5. thats what gave me the idea for this thread post. not sure if its because of the color matrix meter in the F5 or not

23. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a good observation. It seems to me from the responses here that the metering is the biggest driver.

I think that the biggest reason I am comfortable with any film in any of my cameras is because I incident meter.

It's not that I don't use my camera's meters, just that incident metering is primary and I have learned how to use each of my camera's meters to mimic the readings I get from an incident meter directly.

24. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Most major manufacturers in the 70s and 80s weigthed meter to favor color print film or slide depending on the level of the market the body was aimed at.
    Amatuer bodies were set to over expose slightly to favor print film where adavanced/pro bodies were set to under expose slightly to favor slide film.

25. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've found that 35mm works best in the 35mm cameras, because with 35mm in the MF cameras, I have to unload the camera in the dark instead of just rewinding the film. Unless it's my Yashica 635 or my Rolleiflex & Rolleikin. Oh, yeah, and I can't put sheet film into a Minox.

26. ArtO

ArtO Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't pay an attention to this sort of thing. I'm more interested in which film I feel like shooting and it goes in whichever body is next in the "use-me" queue.