Do you store your film in a cooler while shooting?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by haring, Jul 15, 2011.

1. haring

haring Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Do you store your film in a cooler while shooting? Do you carry a small cooler with you when you are outside of your studio?

2. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes and no. (I only shoot B&W)

I have a giant cooler in trunk of my car with NO ice in it. I keep my gear and film in there to transport. It's there just so that temp does not rise beyond ambient temp - not to cool. Once I'm in the field, I keep film with me usually in my bags. As far as I know, b&w films aren't affected by human-comfortable temperatures. I never had any heat related issues.

I live in Central Florida.

3. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, not even in Florida during the summer. But I will not leave film in a closed car, that is just too hot. However, there is a good use for small coolers. Use them as camera cases. People will steal a camera case but very few will steal a cooler.

4. haring

haring Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    :smile: Smart!!! :smile:

5. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes. Most of the time, though, I don't put any ice or other cooling medium in it.

6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I tend to use a cooler, if I'm doing something like shooting large format out of the trunk of a car in the heat, and I don't want the film to get as hot as the car. I don't put ice in, because I don't want condensation forming inside the cooler with the film. That way, if I'm shooting 8x10", say, I can have a bunch of holders ready to go in the cooler and a few in my knapsack, park the car, make a few shots, put the exposed holders in the cooler and restock the knapsack before moving on to the next location.

7. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a cooler, no ice, whenever the temperatures in the car are going to be above 75. That's most of the time in Texas where I live. I don't have a trunk, so the cooler is in the main body of the car. If the temps are above 90 or so, I put a few frozen water bottles in the bottom of the cooler, and cover them with a towel to absorb moisture. It doesn't make the cooler cold enough for condensation to form, just keeps it from overheating with the rest of the car.

8. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have done that every once in a while.

Jeff

9. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, but I keep the film bags out of the sun and heat. I always carry my film in to places if I will be there for more than 10 or 15 minutes, rather than leaving it in the car. When I go hiking, I just keep it in my backpack. Never had a problem, even with IR film. I've definitely had heat damage on rolls that have fallen under my car seats and sat there for who knows how long.

10. Vaughn

Vaughn Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I use to keep my 8x10 holders and film in a big ice chest (w/o ice). The holders fit perfectly. Now I use insulated soft-sided bags meant for two bottles of wine.

Some kids target ice chests -- looking for beer.

11. alapin

alapin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use two ice chest coolers. One smaller than the other. If temps are 80 or better, I put ice around the smaller cooler (with no ice) inside the larger cooler. Work well to keep temps under control. I have not had any condensation because the second cooler just keep the film dry and cooler.

12. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wish it got hot enough often enough in the U.K for this to be a problem, it's July and as usual the rain is pi$$ing down today and the forecast says it's going to continue for the next three or four days. :sad:

13. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No.

14. foliageface

foliageface Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yes, I started using coolers to hold my 4x5 holders while taking trips as long as 3 weeks in the SW (NM, AZ and UT) to protect them from the 90 to 100 degree temps and to provide a relatively clean place for them to be stored while camping. And, as mentioned in an earlier post, I place each of my holders in a Ziploc to help keep them clean as well. I now primarily shoot in 8x10 and have found coolers which neatly carry about 12 holders each. I used to place cold cans of the soda I drink in the coolers with the holders to act as a cooling assist until a cooler was left in a car with a soda can which froze and burst in an unexpected overnight temp drop. Quite the mess, lost several film holders with exposed film that was "glued" to the septum.

15. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Do you store your film in a cooler while shooting?"

Rarely do I store my film in a cooler while I am shooting. I do, however, store my film in a cooler while I am traveling via automobile in hot weather. In fact, I use a cooler that is large enough to hold my lenses, bodies, and batteries as well as my film.

16. stillsilver

stillsilver Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too use a cooler without ice.

Mike