Documentaries on Photography?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Huram, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Huram

Huram Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I love documentaries -- they are educational and entertaining.

I recently viewed 2 PBS documentaries related to photography:

Ansel Adams: A Documentary Film (by Ric Burns)
    American Photography: A Century of Images (3 episodes)

Both were excellent and informative.

Does anyone have any other documentary recommendations specifically on the topic of photography? Related to photography?

For giggles and grins (on a different note), can anyone think of movies (not documentaries) that deal specifically with photography besides One Hour Photo? :smile:

Would love to hear thoughts.

Huram

2. Deniz

Deniz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recently watched " The City of God"
    One of the best movies i've ever seen. It is pretty much about this photojournalist kid and the gangs around him..

A must see for anyone...

3. hbc

hbc Member

PBS has a series called American Masters, I have seen one on Robert Capa, wich is great,there is also one on Walker Evans.

4. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Definately not a doco ....

For something a bit more edge-of-the-seat, action filled. How 'bout Spy Game - Retiring CIA agent Robert Redford plays against the CIA politics to free Brad (Someoneorother) a War Photographer from a Chinese prison. It's got it all: Redford and Pitt for the girls and big action thrills for the boys .... and a photographer ...... kind of ..... well there is one.

5. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    documentary - Brett Weston: Photographer by Art Wright available on DVD
    Film - Blow Up recently released on DVD
    Smoke with Harvey Keitell & William Hurt

6. Sjixxxy

Sjixxxy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    HBO occasionaly runs an hour special called "The Greatest Photos in Sports" which is quite good. I'm not all that big on sports, but I made sure to get it on the DVR last time it aired.

7. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a great video at home by Art Wolfe - "Art Wolfe - On Location Video". He used to be one of my favorite photographers, until he drank of the digital koolaide. He still has good images though.

8. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One of our stations recently (that's last year!) ran a series various photographic related docos including several mentioned already. One you'd like Robert, is called 'Wilderness' and is about two Tasmanian photogs (names escape me but I think it was Peter Dombroski and Olga Troganis-something-or-other.. spelling in all cases very suspect!) who photographed the wilderness of Tasmania and I think helped getting some of it declared off limits to logging or daming a river. Another was about a homeless guy in Sydney. Peter someone. I'm good with names :smile: It followed him from taking pics in his environment thru to his 1st exhibition. They also showed little doco's which I tyhink was called 'shots' which showed how a particular shot (not famous ones... mostly commercial stuff) had been made. Also quite interesting.

9. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Nige,

I'm familiar with the late Peter Dombrovskis, his work is quite fantastic, and one of the reasons Tasmania is on my list of must visit places. Another good photographer from Tasmania is Geoff Murray.

BTW, I'll be in Echuca on Wednesday evening (the 22nd).

10. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My spelling wasn't that far off :smile:

Was up at Wangaratta on the weekend, there's a lot of water around. Creeks I've never seen water in were flowing freely! I think the Murray will be quite high... don't fall in, you'll be in S.A. before you know it! Unfortunately Echuca (4hr drive) and mid week don't work for me... sadly I have to work. Have a good time... hope the light falls right!

Nige.

11. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Robert, on your way to Echuca will you be coming through Melbourne at any stage?

12. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If anyone comes across the PBS video tape of Bill Moyers with Garry Winogrand, PLEASE EMAIL ME. I've been hunting it for ages and to copies at the California libraries have all appeared to be stolen :sad:

13. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes, I am planning on coming through the Melbourne area on September 28th. If you and Nige are available, we could arrange to meet somewhere, although I would really prefer not to drive within the city, I'm sure you understand - I have enough problems trying to figure out what side of the road I am supposed to be on without trying to drive through a city like Melbourne.

My plans are to follow the Murray River down into South Australia, then follow the coast over th Otway to Ballarat, then onto Bright, where I will be until the 8th of October.

Lets set something up, it would be good to meet. PM when you get a chance.

14. ThomHarrop

ThomHarrop Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have one on Ed Weston that is great. Lot's of interview with Charis and Dody and lots or travel footage and stuff from days of yore.

15. blansky

blansky Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There was a PBS series or maybe a one shot deal called "Masters of Light" I believe that was about George Hurrell.

Michael