Does anyone know if the LPL c6700 has a cooling fan?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by The Stone, Feb 28, 2012.

1. The Stone

The Stone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

I went into my darkroom today and found that only after several minutes my diffusion enlarger was very very hot.

Immediately I supposed that the cooling fan has failed.

Before I take the thing apart (and risk not being able to put it back together again from lack of experience) I thought I would try and find out whether I am right in assuming that there is a fan in the head.

Anyone know about fixing these enlargers and how available parts are for them if i do indeed need a new fan?

Thanks alot,

Benjamin

2. ras351

ras351 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a 7700 and it doesn't have a cooling fan, just some fins on the top of the head. I suspect the 6700 would be similar. They do get quite warm, especially when the lamp is on the way out and it starts generating more heat than light.

Roger.

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a D6700 (not sure what difference the D/C makes) and this does not have a fan.

In fact, I don't think I have seen any enlarger with a fan. I wouldn't want a source of vibration like that on an enlarger.

Steve.

4. Trond

Trond Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Smaller enlargers usually do not have a fan, but large format color diffusion enlargers with powerful halogen lamps usually do. I have a 5x7" enlarger with two 250w lamps. I suspect it would melt if it weren't for the (very noisy) fan.

Trond

5. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nope it does not. It has a black finned heatsink at the top held on by two thumb screws.

Check that the correct lamp is in. Though the contact connector would usually only allow the correct lamp, I have seem some beat up connectors that look almost forced apart at the sockets. A bulb/lamp with the wrong wattage would probably make much more heat.

If I remember it should be a Esj bulb, not 100% so double check it to the manual.

I would not worry with a bit of heat, keep the work area clear and you should be fine. I have never encountered popped negatives from a diffusion enlarger because of a hot lamp.

6. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It would have to be a well balanced fan not to vibrate the head - or a well braced collumn.

Theatre lights of 1Kw work o.k. continuously without fans so I personally wouldn't worry about running 250w intermittently without a fan.

Steve.