Does anyone need a ground glass?

Discussion in 'UK All Regions' started by vickersdc, Dec 4, 2009.

1. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi there,

If anyone is interested, I would be willing to make a couple of ground glass screens, up to 8x10 for free (well, other than postage costs). I have some glass left over from a recent project, and if I can help a couple of people out then that would be great.

As well as being ground, the edges would be cleaned and the corners clipped. If you are interested then let me know and I'll tell you exactly what I'd need to know to make them up.

Cheers,
    David.

2. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi David

I've got a pretty old whole plate camera with an equally old screen that could usefully be replaced. I'll step aside meantime though, since someone might drop by with a broken /damaged GG whose need is greater than mine. :smile:

Thanks, Peter

3. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Peter,

That's fine - you were the first to reply! So, can you either reply to this, or PM me, with the overall dimensions (mm) of the glass screen, and if you want them to have clipped corners also jot down how far back from the imaginary corner you want them clipped (I say imaginary because if you've got a clipped screen there won't be any corners!).

I can draw the lines on for you, or leave it blank for you to draw your own lines on. Let me know.

Cheers,
    David.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2009
  4. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PM sent

5. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PM received - thanks Peter, I think I've got all I need. I'll set to work over the weekend for you.

Cheers,
    David.

6. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Peter: quick update - the glass is cut to size and I'll be grinding the edges smooth this evening. If I get the opportunity I'll grind the screen tomorrow.

7. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David

I think you've got the sequence of events wrong.

You make the first for an enemy, the second for a friend and the third for yourself.

Just kidding, I thing this is really great of you!

8. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Ralph,

Well this is the second one...

Cheers,
    David.

9. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm ahead of myself, since the wife spent the evening doing some stained glass work, I figured that I would amuse myself by continuing with the ground glass!

So, here it is so far - the first image shows the glass cut to size based on a template drawn up on paper, although it's quite hard to see against the paper.

[​IMG]

And here it is after the first grinding. I'm just holding it up behind my FKD whilst I was photographing a pineapple (don't ask!). All seems to be well so far...

[​IMG]

10. brian d

brian d Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Up till seeing this picture I thought the GG in my camera's was all in pretty good shape

11. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does that mean you want to put in an 'order'? :tongue:

12. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been asked to make a diffuser for a condenser enlarger, and one option for fixing might be to drill holes at either end of the glass - enabling it to be screwed directly to some sort of frame (also easier to hang up on a hook when not using it!).

Just thought I'd post this image, 1) for the original requester, and 2) in case anybody else needs anything!

I've had a few requests for stuff - from Scotland, Turkey and Malaysia! And I thought this was a UK only thread :tongue:

If there's enough interest, I could get some more glass but I would have to charge for making this stuff as I'm going to get to the end of my few left over pieces fairly quickly!

[​IMG]

13. brian d

brian d Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not right now, all of mine are "useable" but the sample you show sure is nice and bright

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Quick update to Peter, Gonzalo and Aqmal - here are your screens ready to go into their envelopes! I've protected them by sandwiching the glass between two sheets of hardboard and then taping the edges. I should be sending them tomorrow (Wednesday) and lets hope they make their journey safely!

[​IMG]

David.
    PS: Nolan, I'm just about to cut yours, and I'll endeavour to get it sent tomorrow as well.

16. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's really great David, in fact it's just like it was Christmas!:D:D

17. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To Peter, Gonzalo, Aqmal and Nolan: all your ground glass screens are in the post and winging their way to you :smile:

Do let me know how you get on, any problems (hopefully not!) drop me a line.

Cheers,
    David.

18. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll let you know as soon as it arrives. :smile:

Thanks, Peter

19. Dave Dawson

Dave Dawson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I wouldn't say that I NEED a new screen for my MPP 5x4 Technical camera but it definitly looks very old (by modern standards) and is probably 30 years old. It is reasonably clean but not very bright or fine! If you need another project to do between Christmas and the New Year I would pay your expences....PM me if you are 'up for it'

Cheers Dave

20. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David,

I've been away today, but I called my work and was told that a flat package had arrived for me. Further update tomorrow! :tongue:

Peter

21. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!! Gotta say that the package looked great and felt great, but when I got past the padded bag and cut the edge tape, the GG was broken into many pieces. :sad: :mad: I generally stick up for the Royal Mail when they get a hard time, but on this occasion they've come up as zeros rather than heros.:sad::sad:

Still can't thank you enough for all your time, trouble and effort on such a generous gesture David, so name your charity for the donation as they shouldn't lose out because of the PO. And many, many thanks once again!:smile:

Peter

22. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've bought a few screens (5 or 6) before I started making my own and despite far longer journeys US/UK all arrive unbroken.

David, I looked at your packaging and thought they'd break. The glass needs to be between foam or something then the more rigid packaging. I actually have a box that contained a 10x8 screen and you could throw it around and the glass would be difficult to break because the shock is absorbed.

You need board / foam/ glass / foam / board then a Jiffy bag, the foam for my 10x8 is about half an inch thick.

Ian

23. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ian, thank you for the information - I'll definitely be taking note of it :smile: I had thought that the hardboard would prevent flexing of the glass and the jiffy back would absorb the shocks received in transit. How wrong could I be?

Peter, I'm so disappointed - for both of us! I'll make you a new one over the Xmas period and send it in the new year. This time, I'll heed Ian's advice and you should receive it in one piece! As far as charities go, it's really up to you, but a cancer charity would be nice as I lost my grandad to cancer a few years back.

I'm kind of hoping that the others I sent out make it OK - otherwise, I'm going to be busy all over again :wink:

David.

24. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi David

Hopefully there is a digisnap of the ground glass attached to this mesage, but it's the first time I've tried it, so no guarantees. I'm thinking it may have been stressed at a point about 1/3 in from the RHS and 1/4 down, possibly from something jammed hard against it in a bag, but that's just a guess.

While I'm really grateful for your offer to make another one, I can't have you going to that trouble again for me, and you've already done more than anyone would have a right to expect! I still have the original GG, so maybe someone else has a greater need than mine.

Hope this works, Peter

Attached Files:

25. el wacho

el wacho Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi David,

thank you so much for the ground glass and all the effort you took to get it here İN ONE PİECE!!! that's right! out here in the middle of woop-woop ( Niğde, Türkiye ) your parcel arrived safely yesterday! parts and supplies are scarce here ( my freestylephoto parcel bounced back to the US because it wasn't picked up - not that i was notified either! ) so everything you've done is deeply appreciated. thanks again!

26. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Innteresting

That happened to me with a meter I bought last year. There was definitely no notification etc, but a note was attached that I hadn't picked the item up and it went back to the US.

Ian