Does E6 starter go bad?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Greg Davis, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have an unopened bottle of e6 first developer starter that has an expiration date of mid 2009. What kind of issues could I expect if I try to use this in a replenished system? I actually want to use this to start a tank of Xtol developer for B&W, but I don't want to ruin a batch if this really goes bad.

2. amuderick

amuderick Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The color changes to honey or darker as it goes bad. Straw color means it is fresh.

3. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I would say it is a straw to very light honey color. Should that be fine for use? I would only need to use it once in the next few days, then it will be discarded.

4. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Starter should be fine. I've had colour developer replenisher from 2005 that was fine.

5. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have heard it both ways, i.e that starter deteriorates with time and losses its potency like a developer would, and the other arguement.

From my read of the MSDS starters for developers it is mostly inorganics like bromide and maybe a bit of alkali like carbonate.

Starter works to build up bromide in the fresh solution to make it like a well seasoned developer.

In a well seasoned tank, the films being processed leave bromide behind as a side product of the development from the silver halide to elemental silver form to make the processed image.