Does film come in the little boxes anymore?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by jphendren, Nov 5, 2009.

1. jphendren

jphendren Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Back in 2004 and before, whenever I purchased a roll of Fujichrome Velvia, it came in a little green box with a folded up paper with the characteristics of the film. Now when I purchase the newer Velvia 50, it just comes in the little plastic film can, no little paper as before.

Jared

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know about Velvia 50, as far as I know other brands come in boxes.

Jeff

3. Ira Rush

Ira Rush Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Jared,

Sure it does!

Depends where you buy it.... some dealers will sell individual rolls (both 35mm and roll film) from Pro-Packs, hence no box, no paper blurb.

A dealer I go to sells film both in individual boxes and as you describe, from Pro-Packs.

With the 35mm in the plastic film can, there is no real way of knowing how fresh it is (expiration date) or the emulsion batch. With individual rolls of 120/220 from a Pro-Pack, since its wrapped in foil those details are on the foil.

Anyway, bottom line, depends where you buy it, check out another source if you can!

Hope this helps

4. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think the pro films are now sold in packs of 5. Individual shops split these down. The little cardboard boxes are still use for the consumer films like Superia.

5. jphendren

jphendren Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    "Anyway, bottom line, depends where you buy it, check out another source if you can!"

I buy my Velvia 50 from Sahara Camera in Las Vegas. I noticed that the clerk pulls a large green box out of the refrigerator and then digs down in the box and pulls however many rolls I ask for. They charge around $8.55 a roll there; Casey's Camera also sells Velvia 50, but it is over $12 a roll there! B&H only charges around $6 something a roll, but then you have to pay shipping.

It would be nice to know the expiration date!

I wonder if I can get the new Velvia 50's characteristics (reciprocity failure, etc..) from Fuji's webpage? I think that I will go and see.

Jared

6. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Possibly for colour, but ILFORD and Kodak black & white 135 films come individually packed, then cellophane wrapped per 10 pack.

Tom.

7. naugastyle

naugastyle Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah, many of the pro color films come in 5-packs now. Reala still available in 10-pk bricks of boxes, though, probably Superia 1600 as well.

8. PaulW128

PaulW128 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I recently purchased several rolls of film from B&H. Everything came boxed except the Velvia 100, which arrived in plastic film cannisters with emulsion # and exp date tape to the outside of the cannisters

Paul

9. jphendren

jphendren Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How many rolls are in a Pro-Pack? Back in 2001 or so, I ordered quite a few rolls (for me) of Velvia from B&H. They came in the little green boxes and wrapped in cellophane. I can't remember how many rolls I bought, it seems that it was 20 if I recall. Sadly, when I went digital in 2004, I tossed probably 7-10 rolls thinking that I would never use it again.

Jared

10. Ira Rush

Ira Rush Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well a Pro-Pack (usually for roll film 120 or 220) come as 5 rolls per pack. I think some 35mm come as Pro-Packs too with 5 per roll.

Some dealers will repackage individual rolls and sell them as Pro-Packs

What you are describing... 20 rolls wrapped in cellophane is called a "BricK".
    Perhaps that's what you are thinking.

Again, shop around, ask around.

(Actually I think the "Brick" is 10 rolls, not 20)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2009
  11. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not sure about Fuji, but Kodak Portra is sold in 5 and 20 roll pro-packs.

Tom

12. Moopheus

Moopheus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Box or not, I don't think there's any film that comes with the little info sheets any more.

13. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you actually need the "little paper" in this electronic day and age when obtaining more detailed information from the Fuji (or any manufacturer's) website re data sheets for Velvia 50, 100, 100F et al is less wasteful?

14. jphendren

jphendren Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    'Do you actually need the "little paper" in this electronic day and age when obtaining more detailed information from the Fuji (or any manufacturer's) website re data sheets for Velvia 50, 100, 100F et al is less wasteful?"

No, not really. I just wondered what happened to it. I found the data sheet for my film on Fuji's website.

Jared

15. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are buying it with no individual box, it just means that it has been broken out of a "pro pack". As for the piece of paper...I have not seen one of those for a while from any manufacturer. I get them in older film that has been expired for years.

16. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji sell 35mm Velvia in single rolls boxed but many dealers don't order them, my local pro dealer only sells the 5 roll packs and won't split them, but I console myself that if I shoot more than one roll of a subject all the film is from the same emultion batch.

17. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah I think most of the companies split pro packs when possible. It's only for films not sold in pro packs (like ektar 100) which are sold in bricks.

18. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I miss the inserts that used to come with Kodak film with the suggested exposure settings for manual cameras.

19. Aurum

Aurum Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A lot of the boxed films usually have exposure details printed on the inside of the box

20. Denis K

Denis K Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I know Kodak sells TMY in 10 roll bricks (10 yellow boxes in plastic wrap packed 2x5) because I've purchased TMY this way before.

Lately I've noticed that digitaltruth.com is offering TMY in what they call a "20 Roll Value Multi-Pack". Does anyone know if this is a Kodak packaging (perhaps 2-bricks)? How is it packaged, i.e. individual boxes or a single box with 20 film cans?

I too like individual boxes as this is the only sure fire way of keeping the expiration dates together with the film without having to jump through hoops.

Denis K

21. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've seen that with Arista.EDU. Ultra film, and illford film, but not kodak film, and I really missed it. I like having development times on or inside the box.